Football College Cup Web Exclusives Sport

Halifax and Langwith thirds grind out draw

Langwith held on to their very early goal, courtesy of James Newsome, to drag out a draw against a Halifax side that dominated possession

HALIFAX THIRDS 1-1 LANGWITH THIRDS
Group D

Images: Agatha Torrance

Langwith held on to their very early goal, courtesy of James Newsome, to drag out a draw against a Halifax side that dominated possession. But ultimately they failed to create enough goal-scoring chances. Chris Harrison levelled things up for Halifax shortly before half-time.

The Hes East side found their early goal when an advancing Newsome latched on to a mistake by Fax centre-back Jake Mason as he received the ball from a throw in. Mason missed the ball, which allowed Newsome to shoot low into the bottom corner past the onrushing goalkeeper Harry Zeigler.

Halifax were now desperate to restore some pride and for the rest of the half they camped themselves in their opponents side of the field. An Adam Sample free kick forced a fine save from Steve Le Cornu after the ten-minute mark.

Not long after, Chris Harrison was allowed through on goal but he fired his shot wide. Sample, again, was denied by Le Cornu five minutes later.

Halifax continued to pile on the pressure as Ed Henry's mazy dribble through the centre of midfield allowed him room to pass across the D to Ryan Doherty but, once again, Le Cornu was able to block the shot with his feet.

The Langwith defence finally cracked two minutes later as the clock ticked over to twenty-eight minutes. Another mazy run through the centre, this time from Harrison, opened up an opportunity for a shot ; the ball pinballed off two defenders before it looped over a helpless Le Cornu and Doherty pounced on the loose ball from just a few yards out to level the score.

Langwith nearly retook the lead just before half time; a Gohardani corner flew across goal and straight to Errol Waters. He struck a fine, low volley but it was miraculously cleared off the line by the defender at the far post.

The first quarter of an hour of the second half was nothing short of uneventful. Nevertheless, Halifax were completely controlling possession in Langwith's half, but chances were few and far between.

Several chances then came for Halifax in quick succession shortly after James McNeill was booked for dissent by Dylan Chambers. Doherty managed to find a shot at goal, but it was weak and straight at Le Cornu. In Fax's next move, Doherty found space on the left towards the by-line and his pass inside to McNeill was dealt with very well by a sprawling Le Cornu before the ball reached the far post.

Ten minutes before time, Halifax nearly found a winner. Harrison's corner flew across the face of goal and Jamie Dorricott nearly tucked the ball into the goal at the far post, but the ball came off the post in another scrappy pinball incident and Langwith cleared the ball away with sigh of relief.

Ed Henry fired a shot over the bar late on, but Halifax could not find the time to seal a win.

After the game, Langwith captain Tom Rudden told Nouse: "[The result] was much more than we could have asked for after the embarrassing performance last week. It was a good effort from everyone but we can play better and we should capitalize more going forward".

Halifax captain James McNeill felt his side could have done more: "I think we were just unlucky, we just didn't get the rub of the green. Second half we played alright but what can you do? We wanted the win but we didn't get it".

Halifax: Ziegler, Horn, Cornwell, Mason, Dorricott, McNeill (C), Dixon, Harrison, Henry, Sample (Reick), Doherty.
Man of the match: Adam Sample

Langwith: Le Cornu, McIntosh, Rudden, Waters, Shevchenko, Newsome, Billings, Burnell, Ong, Gater, Gohardani.
Man of the match: Errol Waters

Michael Sayers Posted on Thursday 22 Oct 2020

I retract last weeks comments

fom tennely Posted on Thursday 22 Oct 2020

Do u even lift fom tennely?