Football College Cup Web Exclusives Sport

One-way traffic as Goodricke firsts quash Langwith

After failing to score in the first half, Goodricke shook off the dust from the spring break by producing a dominant performance against Langwith seconds on wind-swept JLD

GOODRICKE FIRSTS 3-0 LANGWITH SECONDS

Images: Lily Grant

After failing to score in the first half, Goodricke shook off the dust from the spring break by producing a dominant performance against Langwith seconds on wind-swept JLD. A brace from Chris Osborn and a late lob from Dan Gorringe gave Goodricke the points in the College Cup's first Hes East derby.

In a game where Langwith struggled to work the ball into the final third, it came as no surprise when Goodricke began laying claim to the earliest chances. Assured passing from Goodricke allowed Dalton Harris a shot on goal, whilst Joe Mann forced a good save from Ollie Williamson between the Langwith sticks.

Chances continued to come for Goodricke when Mann put through Chris Osborne; his shot forced another good, low save from Williamson and the follow-up header was narrowly put wide by Luke Inness. Harris and Mann missed their shots just a few minutes later.

Mann came the closest to scoring on the ten minute mark when his shot from range fizzed off the post. The game continued in this leisurely fashion until half time, with Langwith yet to have a meaningful shot on goal.

Immediately from the off-set, however, Goodricke finally took a deserved lead. Only two minutes after kick-off, a Goodricke long throw-in was headed away by the Langwith defence but only to the feet Osborne. From the edge of the area, he picked out the bottom right-hand corner with ease.

Langwith nearly found an equaliser straight after the restart with their best chance of the match. Matt Morton managed to get a flick on the ball from an Errol Walters throw-in, but Morton could only direct into the goalkeeper, John Thompson.

Regardless, Goodricke continued to dominate the chances and the play in midfield. Harris came close on two occasions - the first chance came off the base of the post, whereas his second shot forced another solid save from Williamson.

On 42 minutes, Stu Dunk had a headed chance cleared off the line, and on 49 minutes both Mann and Harris forced a double save from Williamson.

Goodricke secured the win by scoring twice in the final ten minutes. Dave Bullock fed the ball to Mann down the left side, who cut inside and delivered the ball to Osborne, who took a touch and fired the ball low into the bottom left corner to make it 2-0.

After Mann forced another good save from Williamson, Dan Gorringe rounded off the scoring for Goodricke five minutes from time. A clever flick from Harris put him through on goal down the right channel and he expertly lobbed the ball over the onrushing Williamson.

The Goodricke captain, Joe Mann, felt his side could have done more: "It's the first time we've properly played together and so we were always going to be as bit rusty, otherwise we could have got bagfuls today".

Sam Morley, Langwith captain, remained hopeful that his team could make the Cup: "It was hard to have Goodricke ones in our first game; we've got a relatively inexperienced college cup squad. The lads performed quite well, we struggled to keep the ball in midfield and that's where they destroyed us really. But going forward we got some positives and we're hoping not to lose a game in the rest of the group".

Goodricke: Thompson, Ward, Dunk, Parker, Campbell, Gorringe, Osborne, Inness (Ally), Mann, Bullock, Harris

Langwith: Williamson, Rudden, Morley (C), Starling, Waters, Morton, Ong (Newsome), Burnell, Pegg, Hemingway, McDonald (Georgiev)

Langwith Bystander Posted on Thursday 22 Oct 2020

I thought we were poor to be honest, really looking forward to a spicy one against 'Fax 2s though.