Roses Lacrosse Web Exclusives Sport

Men's lacrosse dominate Lancaster

York's men dominated this match in a highly charged affair on the 22 acres. A superb team performance saw them secure victory against their red rose rivals

Image: Lily Grant
Image: Lily Grant

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 14-2 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY

York's men dominated this match in a highly charged affair on the 22 acres. A superb team performance saw them secure victory against their red rose rivals.

After only 10 minutes York had raced into a 4-1 lead through goals from Andy Thomas and skipper William Chun. Despite the brutality of the match, York were playing some lovely stuff, the interplay up front a sight to behold at times, and were thoroughly outclassing their opponents.

Lancaster did have a spell of pressure at the end of the first quarter, but this was as good as it got for the red rose, as they wasted chances to score, and made life difficult for themselves in defence, the highlight being an absurd reverse pass that gifted possession to York who were, on this occasion unable to capitalise.

Andy Thomas continued the domination at the beginning of the second quarter, smashing home after a sustained spell of pressure.

Soon after, a quick fire double saw York fully take the game by the scruff of the neck. First Thomas added to his tally, then Joe Tebbutt scored to really pile the pressure on Lancaster, who really did not put up much of a fight.

Lancaster's frustrations then boiled over, as Tom Beetham was struck in the head for no apparent reason, and the Lancs player was rightly sent to the sin bin.

Thomas then made it 8-1 after some lovely interplay with Chun, and by half time the score had been increased to 9-1.

The domination continued in the third quarter, with York rapidly accelerating to an 11-1 lead. Lancaster then had their best spell of the game, hitting the post and failing to convert some good chances. They then managed to secure a second goal, eliciting huge joy from everyone on the touchline.

The 4th quarter was a formality for York, adding three more goals from Chalmers and Bull to make the final score 14-2 in a match where in truth, York could and should have scored many more.

Captain William Chun said after the game: "It was a great performance. It went a little bit rocky in the middle but we pulled it back and everyone did well. I'm pleased for the whole squad."