Hockey Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Indoor hockey thriller sees men's firsts victorious

York's men's firsts indoor hockey squad produced one of the most entertaining and high-octane matches of Friday's fixtures in the Tent as they side edged out a narrow score-line of 6-5

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 6-5 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY

Images: Lily Grant

York's men's firsts indoor hockey squad produced one of the most entertaining and high-octane matches of Friday's fixtures in the Tent as they side edged out a narrow score-line of 6-5.

Hugo Christie was the star of the game as he netted four of York's six goals, with his first coming in the very first minute when he finished with ease on the second time of asking from a short corner.

After Lancaster hit the post and George Richards forced a save from their goalkeeper at the other end, York's rivals finally found an equaliser at the ten minute mark when they broke against the run of play behind the York defence; their striker provided a cool finish at the near post.

Five minutes later and Lancaster took the lead; 'keeper Callum Chaundy came out well to block an effort from a short corner, but the striker found the angle to slot the ball past Chaundy whilst he was off his line.

Immediately after the push back to restart play, the Red Rose managed to quickly reclaim possession and work an instant goal. This rattled York and the game became more heated as they looked for a response.

The response came only a few minutes later, once again in the form of Christie with a superb finish from a trademark short corner routine. Only a minute later, the captain had his hat-trick with an identical goal to draw the teams level at half time at 3-3.

After York claims for a penalty flick fell on death ears, they finally retook the lead halfway into the second half from yet another Christie short corner routine; the Lancaster defence had failed to pick up his in-step each time.

Leo Watton received a green card and was sin-binned shortly after, and Lancaster's extra man was telling as they scored from deep from a dubious short corner.

York reacted well two minutes later when Watton returned to play the ball across goal and provide Laurie Torrington with an easy finish. However, Lancaster once again reacted instantly from the push back to level things up at 5-5.

With time ticking away, Johnno Butler became the man of the moment when he grabbed the late winner. York won a free hit in midfield, which Butler quickly latched on to with a sneaky flick at the near as the crowd erupted.

Watton received a yellow card in the dying moments, whilst Lancaster squandered their final chance of forcing a draw from a short corner.

Leo Watton summed up his side's game and that of his instrumental captain's to Nouse: "If I hadn't have been sent off we could have won by more. What a cracking fixture! We've been training since the start of the year, but for all the teams to draw and for us to win in that kind of style, well that's what Roses is all about. [Christie] was a great inspiration".

York: Chaundy (GK), Richards, Watton, Christie (C), Ratliff, Siva, Butler, Blackburn, Torrington