News

Nightlife Special Report: How Safe is York's Nightlife?

Images This article has had its images hidden due to a legal challenge. Learn more about images in the Nouse Archive

The picture of crime in York city centre after dark has been revealed to show numerous incidents occurring near the city's clubs such as Salvation, Society, Mansion, Vodka Revolution and Willow.

Between October 2012 and February 2013, 6464 crimes have taken place in the city centre throughout the day, with many assumed to have occurred at night.

These figures, compiled from police.co.uk, are shocking considering that York has been voted as UK's 4th safest city in 2013. Nearly half of these were cases of anti-social behaviour, standing at a staggering figure of 3023.

More alarming, however, is the 481 cases of criminal damage and arson, and the 164 drug incidents that were reported. There were also 791 cases of theft, including mugging, and 146 cases of public disorder and weapons.

Statistics have shown a total of 856 crimes around York clubs, between October 2012 and February 2013, but numbers vary hugely between clubs.
Of these, 444 were anti-social behaviour, 29 involved drugs, 115 were theft, 43 were public disorder and weapons, and 130 cases of violent crime.
The area around Salvation and Society (Rougier Street and the bottom of Tanner Row) had 239 crimes reported.

In total, this amounts to 126 cases of anti-social behaviour along with 48 cases of violent crimes and three cases of criminal damage and arson.
Of the 116 crimes around Mansion (Micklegate area), 65 were anti-social behaviour, four were criminal damage and arson, and four were drugs.
There were also 15 incidents of theft, three of public disorder and weapons, and eleven of violent crime.

Around Vodka Revolution and Willow (Coney Street), 155 of the incidents reported were anti-social behaviour.

12 were criminal damage and arson, and three were drugs. There were also 37 incidents of theft, 16 of public disorder and weapons, 35 violent crimes and four cases of other crime.

Kuda and its surrounding area had 125 cases of anti-social behaviour, five of criminal damage and arson, and 18 of theft.
There were eight cases of public disorder ad weapons while there were 21 violent crimes.

The Tokyo area (top of Tanner Row, Bar Lane, Barker Lane, and Toft Green) was the scene of 23 cases of anti-social behaviour, 15 cases of violent crime and one case of public order.

There was also three cases of criminal damage and arson, five of drugs, and ten of theft.

Untitled-3

Latest in News