News

Legal dispute led to broken fire regulations in Tokyo

Tokyo's dispute with its electric supplier led to an unsuitable generator being used.

Images This article has had its images hidden due to a legal challenge. Learn more about images in the Nouse Archive

It has been revealed that the generator recently used by Tokyo broke several fire precautions.

Information obtained by Nouse shows that of all the clubs inspected, three clubs were issued with reports meaning they have room for improvement on their fire safety records.

Nouse
was refused the full reports due to a commercial interest clause in Freedom of Information Act.

Tokyo were forced to switch to a generator after a dispute with an electricity supplier, which led to concerns from the fire service.

This also led to them having to close their doors for one of their official YUSU nights last term, and move it to Fibbers, its smaller sister venue.

Tokyo was issued with an enforcement notice by the Fire and Rescue Authority on the sixth of March 2013, after it was suspected to have failed to comply with any provision of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 and was given time to comply with the regulations.

This report which was issued by the North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service on the 15th of March 2013 is fairly recent.

The fire service raised concerns about the use of the generator in the club, which Tokyo has claimed is a result of a dispute with an electricity supplier, who were trying to charge the club for bills, from when the previous owners Luminar who own Kuda, owned the club.

As a result, Tokyo failed to comply with articles 08, 09, 11, 13, and 17 of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005. These included Duty to take fire precautions, Risk Assessment, Fire Safety Arrangements, Fire-fighting and Fire Detection and Maintenance.

Article 08, Duty to take general fire precautions, means the responsible person must take general fire precautions, as far as is practical, and take care of safety for employees. The responsible person must "take such general fire precautions as may reasonably be required in the circumstances of the case to ensure that the premises are safe" for customers.

Risk Assessment of article 09 stated that there should be sufficient assessment of the risks to relevant persons for the purpose of identifying general fire precautions needed to take to comply with the requirements and prohibitions imposed on him by the order.

This assessment must be reviewed regularly particularly if there is any change to the building and the information has to be recorded and this is deemed more important when the venue employs more than five employees.

Article 11, Fire safety arrangements, states that the owner must have effective arrangements appropriate to the size of the undertaking of activities for the "effective planning, organisation, control, monitoring and review of the preventive and protective measures."

Fire Fighting and fire detection constitutes article 13 and states that the premises must be equipped to an appropriate extent with fire-fighting equipment, fire detectors and alarms. These must be easily accessible and indicated by signs.

Article 17, on maintenance states that equipment and devices for fire safety must be maintained and kept in working order and in good repair. The building and facilities must also be maintained in a state approved by the fire service.

Call-outs to clubs were rare but from 2010 there was one call-out to Salvation for an accidental fire, two call-outs to Tokyo for special service, one call-out to Mansion for a False-Alarm, and 12 call outs to Gallery/Kuda for false alarms.

Since 2010, Mansion and Tokyo have had four fire inspections each, Salvation and The Willow two and Kuda/Gallery one.

Aaron Mallor, Tokyo Director, said that "it is no secret that Tokyo York has had a tough couple of months, we've had & eventually won a massive legal battle with our electricity provider - who were attempting to recover just under £100,000 in connection with dated issues relating the previous occupier Luminar who went into administration in 2012.

"The energy company was attempting to leverage that debt from ourselves which although legally is totally incorrect these energy giants operate under an Electricity & Gas Act which affords them some legal curious rights that wouldn't exist in commercial law.

"Our refusal to pay these insane historic costs lead to the disconnection of energy supply and us running off a generator for six weeks or so. Its this generator that promoted concerns from the fire service & required us to place temporary actions and adapt emergency strategies whilst on a generator supply.

"Tokyo Industries operate venues all over the UK and at no point was any public safety compromised. Thankfully having won the legal battle with the energy giant they where forced to reconnect us and we are now back on mains power & fully fire compliant - but yes a testing couple of months... Tokyo is here is stay & back on top of out game.. We thank everyone at York University for sticking with us.. We have some great nights lined up this final term - Lets Rock York (with Electric)". [Sic]

William Proud, a second year Maths student, commented: "It is interesting how something such as a dispute like this can lead to fire risks at one of our main nightclubs.

"However the club did seem to handle the situation quite well which is very enouraging."

"I do wonder what the risks there could be though."

Latest in News