Football College Cup Web Exclusives Sport

Alcuin seconds hold off Langwith firsts resurgence

A stunning 30-yard free kick from Alcuin's Ben Carver was the highlight of the two sides opening fixture to the College Cup on a sun-baked JLD. Sam Woodall's assured finish in the second half secured a point for Langwith

LANGWITH FIRSTS 1-1 ALCUIN SECONDS
Group A

Images: Petroc Taylor

A stunning 30-yard free kick from Alcuin's Ben Carver was the highlight of the two sides opening fixture to the College Cup on a sun-baked JLD. Sam Woodall's assured finish in the second half secured a point for Langwith.

In the early stages, Sam Woodall's pace looked the most threatening to the Alcuin defence, but their back four looked solid for the majority of the game.

Most of the early chances, surprisingly, fell to Alcuin as Langwith struggled to break through the centre of their midfield. James Homer was also instrumental in controlling the midfield with his expert vision and his ability to stick the ball to his feet like glue.

Alcuin's best chances were coming from the deep free kicks that were taken by Ben Carver as Langwith's discipline began to let them down. Their first free kick was narrowly missed by the head of Homer, whilst Jacob Burge connection with a second free kick only found the hands Langwith shot stopper Kris Cheshire.

After fifteen minutes, Alcuin were awarded another opportunity to create a chance from a free kick when a Langwith player slid into a tackle. This time, however, Carver's powerful right boot rocketed into the top corner, far out of the reach of Cheshire. Alcuin continued to dominate the game through the midfield until half time.

Langwith managed to get a stronger hold on the game in the second half. They created the first chance when Andy Hutt passed the ball out to the left to Matt Morton, who cut inside and fired off a shot that swung wide of the far post.

The Hes East side were now finding much more luck in their play down the wings as they sought to break down Alcuin's rigid defence and midfield. Woodall's pace was causing the Owl's back four trouble; on the one instance he was put through, he could only fire straight at the goalkeeper.

Shortly after, however, Woodall finally found his breakthrough on thirty-seven minutes. Hutt played the ball through the middle to Woodall in front of Ben Rigby, who gave him the room to turn and whip a shot low into the bottom right corner. Alcuin 'keeper Michael Thurloway, who had been drafted in from the thirds squad, was left with no chance.

Five minutes later, Langwith nearly found a winner. After a Langwith corner, the ball was only cleared to the feet of Hutt. His shot forced an exquisite reaction from Thurloway as he deflected the ball off the goal-line and a scramble ensued. Morton got a toe on it patted away from the line and a reluctant Thurloway collapsed onto the ball. Langwith claims for handball were waved away by the referee.

The final ten minutes of the game were a lot more open as both frustrated teams pushed for a winner. Ben Bugeja dragged a shot wide for Alcuin, whilst Louis Pegg had his rising shot tipped over the bar by the magnificent Thurloway. In a true game of two halves, a draw was the fairest results for both sides on the day.

After the game, Alcuin captain Chris Houlgate believed his side could have done more: "I'm disappointed because we were fantastic in the first half, especially in the first fifteen minutes. But, having said, before the game I would have taken a draw."

A more sombre Langwith captain, Matt Jones, told Nouse: "We just didn't get anything going. The passing through the middle didn't really happen and we didn't pick up their midfielders. But we're not out of it; three more wins and we should be through."

Langwith: Cheshire, Campbell, Hannah, Pickersgill, Holbrook, Jones (C), Hutt (Hopkin), Pegg, Hazell, Woodall, Morton

Man of the match: Matt Morton

Alcuin: Thurloway, Houlgate (C) (Brough), Rigby, Perera, Kennick, Carver, Burge, Bugeja, Homer, Hesselgren, Pearce (Harget)

Man of the match: Ben Bugeja

Xabi Alonso Posted on Thursday 22 Oct 2020

Unintentional?

Apart from that, great read