Web Exclusives News

York ranked 12th in Complete University Guide

The University of York has been ranked as the 12th best institution in the UK in the Complete University Guide for 2014

Images This article has had its images hidden due to a legal challenge. Learn more about images in the Nouse Archive

The University has been ranked 12th in the Complete University Guide, for the second year running but could not break into the top ten.  Photo Credit: Petroc Taylor
The University has been ranked 12th in the Complete University Guide, for the second year running but could not break into the top ten. Photo Credit: Petroc Taylor

The University of York has been ranked as the 12th best institution in the UK in the Complete University Guide for 2014.

This is the same position as last year and means York has again missed out on the top ten, but keeps York ahead of many fellow Russell Group members.

The University of Cambridge topped the Guide for the second year running, with the University of Oxford coming second on the list.

York is the leading University in the Yorkshire and the Humber region and is substantially ahead of its nearest rivals in the area. The University of Sheffield was second, at 26th overall, up two from last year, with the University of Leeds placed 3rd in the region at 32nd overall, also up two from the last guide.

In separate tables for the leading universities and higher education institutions the University is in the top ten for 11 subjects of the 26 it has on offer to students. However York does not top any subject.

Data for the rankings was derived from official sources and has been meticulously checked directly with universities to create the guide, so it provides a fairly accurate view.

YUSU President, Kallum Taylor said York should be cautious over rankings but also aware of the threat of falling behind other institutions: "Whilst I don't think it's wise to obsess over league tables; I think this reminds us of the fact that others in the sector are upping their game. If we stand still we'll backwards.

"York's not in a crisis by any stretch of the imagination, but there are clear areas which we need to address.

"Employment prospects are obviously one - and this is an area which goes beyond 'improving the careers' service' and one that should look into how our courses here equip students for later life.

"Also, as already covered by Nouse recently, there's a lot more to do in the way of improving the Student Experience when our members are living and studying here."

Latest in Web Exclusives