Web Exclusives News

Toni Pearce elected NUS President

Toni Pearce has been elected President of the National Union of Students (NUS) following a vote at the conference in Sheffield and will take over from Liam Burns

Images This article has had its images hidden due to a legal challenge. Learn more about images in the Nouse Archive

Toni Pearce, President-elect of the NUS. Photo Credit: NUS

Toni Pearce has been elected President of the National Union of Students (NUS) following a vote at the conference in Sheffield and will take over from Liam Burns.

The current NUS Vice President (Further Education) defeated Vicki Baars and Peter Smallwood, while Samuel Gaus, a candidate running on behalf of the Inanimate Carbon Rod, withdrew this morning.

Pearce, who is the first NUS President not to go to university, won the election in the first round with 424 of the 732 valid votes cast.

More than 450 of NUS' affiliated students' unions are in further education institutions and the majority of the students the NUS represents are in this sector. Baars received 210 votes, Smallwood 91 and there were seven votes for Re-open nominations.

In her manifesto, Pearce said her priorities for her presidency would include linking college and university students' unions together to fight for local wins in the upcoming general election and to campaign for a single central admissions system for all colleges and universities. She also wants to increase efforts to organise and support students to run and win campaigns in their local areas.

Pearce studied at Cornwall College, where she was elected President of Cornwall College Students' Union from 2009 to 2011.

She was elected NUS Vice-President (Further Education) in 2011 and re-elected for a second term in 2012.

Her achievements include winning £41m for student parents through Care To Learn and £50m in bursaries for adult FE student support.

Speaking after her victory, the NUS President-elect, commented: "I'm really proud to have been given the opportunity to build the student movement around a vision for public education, and to be leading NUS as we build towards the next general election."

She added: "Between now and 2015 we need to hold a full and frank debate about what education means to society and to properly articulate the public value of education in communities up and down the country."

YUSU President, Kallum Taylor, who was a keen supporter of Pearce, said: "Massive congratulations to her, she's done a great job in her current FE role, and was the most unifying and credible of all the candidates. Really looking forward to seeing her work, and working with her over the next year or so."

Latest in Web Exclusives

4 Comments

YUSU Bastard Posted on Tuesday 9 Apr 2013

YUSU Bastard will repeat what he said on the "other" website because I can do whatever I fucking well like:

I presume she will be terrible as every President has been, like, forever. YUSU Bastard sees through her simple and abominable rhetoric. She is doomed to an embarrassing failure and will as a result be rewarded with a Labour safe seat at the 2015 election.

Checker Posted on Tuesday 9 Apr 2013

Lorna Fitzsimons was President of NUS but did not go to university either, she was at Loughborough College of Art and Design.

Man the Firing Squads Posted on Tuesday 9 Apr 2013

The NUS is now so unrepresentative that it isn't even chaired by a student anymore. Not that the vast majority of us will care as the NUS has never preocuppied itself with actively pursuing/promoting the views of a majority of students or actually bothering to consult them about what these might be.

The Labour MP training camp elects its class of '13, more like.

Jon Posted on Tuesday 9 Apr 2013

I'd just like to congratulate Peter Smallwood for representing the true majority of students. Albeit a silent majority having only gained 12% of the vote