Fashion Trends

Spend, Save, Steal: Walking the Line

Rachel Thompson finds stripes to match every budget

Marc Jacobs SS13, fashion156.com
Marc Jacobs SS13, fashion156.com

Stripes have always been a good go-to pattern, being both slimming and versatile. This spring designers have opted for a linear approach to pattern, stamping their collections with stripes, chevrons and op-art zig-zags. Elongated cuts and a largely monochrome palette complete the streamlined sensibility. Available in every variation from vertical to horizontal, thick, skinny or diagonal, it is impossible to escape this classic yet au courant print.

I recommend experimenting with colors, sizes and patterns. Incorporating this trend is a sure-fire way to grab attention this season. To inject just a little of the trend, why not try styling your jeans and T-Shirt with a striped headscarf scarf or candy striped bag? Or take the plunge with one of these full on stripe-fest pieces.

SPEND
asos.com
asos.com

Sonia By Sonia Rykiel Graphic Print Dress (purchased from ASOS) £90

Don't limit yourself to straight lines. This monochrome zigzag, slogan print takes it lead from Marc Jacobs. This dress experiments with long, curved stripes and dazzling optical patterns. Regatta stripes bring a youthful air to this season's tailoring, and a soft cotton dress is a key spring/summer buy. It's a truism that vertical stripes flatter and elongate the body. Match with a jacket of similar pattern for head to toe linear stripes providing double slimming impact.

SAVE
asos.com
asos.com

ASOS Elgin Skinny Jean in Mono Stripe £35

Stripe up your wardrobe with a pair of monochrome skinny trousers. Fashion bloggers and editors alike they were all styled in linear striped trousers at fashion week, from wide legged pants to cigarette slacks. Team with a top in either a bright block colour or a modern print for effortless cool.

STEAL
riverisland.com
riverisland.com

Black and white chunky stripe crop top £20

This River Island bargain is perfect for the upcoming summer season (if it ever arrives) and it doesn't get much more linear and stripy than this little number. With a nod towards the monochrome trend too, this black and white thick striped crop top is an essential spring piece.