Business News Web Exclusives Business

Buckingham Palace shows support for York Student Entrepreneurs

The Univeristy of York has been named as one of the first campuses to have a Start-Up Loans Ambassador by entrepreneur James Caan

The Duke of York was in attendance
The Duke of York was in attendance

The Start-Up Loans Company has appointed its first Student Ambassadors at a reception given by HRH The Duke of York, KG at Buckingham Palace.

The event was hosted by His Royal Highness as part of his continued focus on promoting entrepreneurship and supporting initiatives that extend better access to capital to early-stage businesses. Lord Young, an economic adviser to David Cameron and founder of the scheme, was also in attendance.

The Company, which has £112million to help start 25,000 businesses by 2015, is the brainchild of Lord Young and is chaired by former Dragon and entrepreneur James Caan.

Caan has appointed Ambassadors to represent Start-Up Loans at their universities, with the ultimate aim of boosting student enterprise, as well as encouraging young entrepreneurs to apply for Start-Up Loans.

James Caan said:

"Student entrepreneurship is a vibrant community and through Start-Up Loans, we can help foster the amazing innovation that is evident in Universities across the country by helping start successful businesses. Through the Ambassadors who have all been selected, we will be able to catalyse enterprise amongst students."

James Caan addresses the audience
James Caan addresses the audience

Bright Futures President, Stuart Duncan, has been identified as the first Ambassador for York. Speaking of his first meeting at Caan's offices in Mayfair, Stuart said:

"It was inspiring to see first-hand the excellence of support that Start-Up Loans provides for student entrepreneurs. I could tell straight away that James and the entire team were truly committed to backing young people as the future of successful enterprise in the UK.

"I want to create an understanding of the fact that students can become their own boss and create and control their own employment and potentially jobs for others. Start-Up Loans allows them the opportunity to run their own business their way.

"As only one of a select number of institutions chosen, this is a real nod of confidence in York's ability to support enterprise and foster entrepreneurship."

As an Ambassador, Stuart is the go-to person on campus for starting a business. Tapped into all the right networks from Start-Up Loans and their Partners, he will be on hand to guide budding entrepreneurs to securing funding and turning their idea into an exciting new business.

If you're interesting in finding out more, you can contact Stuart on sjd524@york.ac.uk. More information about the Start-Up Loans programme can be found at startuploans.co.uk, on Facebook, or Twitter.

All photo credits: Start-Up-Loans