Politics News Politics

Students vote 'No' in mock indepedence referendum

A mock referendum last week at the University of Glasgow provided the nationalists with a disappointing result as students rejected the idea of independence

Images This article has had its images hidden due to a legal challenge. Learn more about images in the Nouse Archive

Photo credit: Scottish Government
Photo credit: Scottish Government

A mock referendum last week at the University of Glasgow provided the nationalists with a disappointing result as students rejected the idea of independence.

The SNP have pinned their hopes of gaining independence on the younger generations, and have even given sixteen and seventeen year olds the right to vote in the poll.

Students at Glasgow answered the same question that is to be used in the landmark poll itself, which was recently altered after suggestions from the Electoral Commission.

When put with the question, "Should Scotland be an independent country", only 38 per cent (967) voted in favour while 62 per cent (1614) gave a 'No' vote. Although just 2,589 out of 23,000 students at the university took part it is still being seen as one of the first large-scale measures of public opinion.

Eight student societies including all political parties had invited undergraduate and postgraduate students to vote, making it representative of most political opinions.

The university itself makes the result of the mock referendum even more significant. Donald Dewar, the Scottish Parliament's inaugural First Minister, is amongst several politicians that studied at Glasgow.

Others include Charles Kennedy, former Liberal Democrat leader, John Smith, Liam Fox and John MacCormick, one of the founding members of the SNP and a former rector at the University.

Charles Kennedy, who is currently rector at the University commented: "What I think is interesting about this result is the extent to which it would seem to reflect the broad swathe of the national opinion polls over the course."

He added: "The real lesson is the extent to which students wanted to hear more of the detail and the arguments involved."
Blair Jenkins, Scotland chief executive also commented on the result: "We have to remember that some 2,500 out of 20,000 students actually cast votes and this undoubtedly reflects the fact that a large section of the student and general population has yet to make up their minds."

Jenkins added: "We have made considerable progress in recent polls and we will continue to work tirelessly to convince people that we have nothing to fear and everything to gain from being a normal, independent country."

Latest in Politics News

zenon Posted on Thursday 7 Mar 2013

The SMP will not be disappointed by this vote because their target demographics are those youths who will not be attending further education, ironically the same group that will suffer the most when the Scottish welfare budgets and pension provisions can no longer be supported. "Not far from pride is the fall."