Fashion Shows Muse

LFW: Ziad Ghanem Show Report

[flickr-slideshow tags="ziad"]

Photos: Petroc Taylor

London based Ziad Ghanem, the renowned 'cult couturier', has become known for his dramatic displays of outlandish women's and menswear. Entitled 'Candy... Darling?' his A/W 2013 collection takes it's name from the transsexual Warhol superstar of the late 60s and 70s, and promised to rival his theatrical performances of previous seasons. Amongst those on the front row was Daniel Lismore, the artist described by Vogue as 'London's most outrageous dresser', who was joined by Made in Chelsea's Mark-Francis Vandelli and Victoria Baker-Harber. Posed with a packed Freemasons' Hall and high expectations, Ghanem did not disappoint.

Within minutes it became clear that the designer had once again broken the rules with an eclectic array of styles, models and music and not even the slightest hint of the monochrome trend that dominated the week. Highlights included a lavishly dressed matador who pranced through the iron gates of the Masonic Hall whilst jeering and pointing at helpless members of the front row. This was soon followed by a half naked model, who used burlesque feathers to flap her way down the catwalk before launching a squawking attack at the photography pits, causing several to jump back in fear. Floral prints, lace and silk each made appearances in this vibrant collection, not to mention the exquisite make-up, which can only be described as a work of art. However, amongst the chaos of capes and feathers, Ghanem cleverly complimented the collection with wearable pieces, with gowns in crimson and gold adding a touch of elegance and class.

Ziad Ghanem's theatrical performance was a sure crowd pleaser. As the mismatched models emerged to a roaring standing ovation, the tune of Eric Idle's Always look on the bright side of life left a refreshing sense of optimism, the perfect end to a truly sensational show.