Fashion Shows Muse

LFW: Eugine Lin Show Report

[flickr-slideshow tags="eugene"]

Photos: Petroc Taylor

Last season saw Eugene Lin debut with the 'Judgment of Paris', a show of intricate prints, digitalised in bold colours that allowed classic trends to be brought bang up to date. His A/W '13 collection was no different. Strong areas of continuity shone through, but it was skillfully brought into line with the new season.

The classic mac provided the focal point for the collection. This strong centre point brought the central themes of understated confidence to the fore. The show started with a double-breasted coat in black, adorned with sharp shoulders, a strong rolling collar, and a belt, which carried the heavy stitch detailing. This teamed with heavy eyebrows and tied back hair gave a strong formality and classiness. The piece also introduced a coin motif, which ran through a number of the pieces - both studded and printed.

Lin brought a strong autumn palette to his collection with deep berry shades and staple beige. These, alongside the gold coined armouring brought understated style to both the outdoors and eveningwear. Evening dresses stretched from low collars with big statement jewelry, resembling Trojan armour plating, loosely tailored, to close-fitting black pieces.

The highlights included a bold red knee-length single-breasted mac with matching cape, with oversized collar and bold ankle-high heels. This was followed up with a waist high version with printed tights and shoes which provided a segway into what can only be described as a corseted mac, again with a large rolling collar and a thick belt tied in a knot to one side (how chic...).

Lin's 'Cupid de Locke' showed his maturity and experience in design. The colour palette brings a level of class to some catwalk staples. The sharp tailoring of the macs was a highlight, brought into Lin's lair with prints and a clean cut. Here is a ready-to-wear collection that really is just that, and so fantastically London. Good work Mr. Lin.