Sport Comment Sport

ECB must learn from Maynard tragedy

The tragic results of this week's inquest into the death of the talented and promising Tom Maynard brought to light two different issues

The tragic results of this week's inquest into the death of the talented and promising Tom Maynard brought to light two different issues.

One being that the death of the man should not cloud his achievements as a cricketer and a human being, the other being that recreational drug use in sport may be more of a problem than people originally thought.

Maynard was said to be a regular user of cocaine and MDMA in the months leading up to his death and it begs the question whether more could have been done to prevent the tragedy that befell him and his family. Is English cricket doing enough to warn players about the dangers of recreational drug use?

It has already been announced that there will be more stringent testing for recreational drugs, but this will only benefit the international and county scene.

The ECB have a duty to ensure that all cricketers, whether they play for universities or local clubs, understand just how dangerous it can be to play a demanding sport such as cricket while using recreational drugs.

It's a confusing subject; no one seems to know how to proceed. While Maynard's death is a warning to all young cricketers on the dangers of dabbling with such drugs, it also raises questions over the ECB's treatment of young cricketers who struggle with alcoholism and drug abuse.

There have been many cases in the past of cricketers admitting to drug use, Ian Botham is one that springs to mind, but the ECB tend throw the book at them rather than finding out more about the situation.

The reaction to Maynard's death shows he was a well-loved and well-liked man, but I strongly doubt the ECB would have reacted in any other way than banning him for an extended period, then his county would more than likely release him, as has happened in the past.

So, it isn't just about warning young players of the dangers, it isn't just about more testing, it's about humanity and compassion.

Being a professional sports star is gruelling and tiring, you are always in the spotlight. There are bound to be mistakes made.

If Maynard's death has taught us anything, it's that English cricket should do more, that there is no one beyond help.

They need to recognise that.