Music Music Reviews Web Exclusives Muse

Album Review: Darwin Deez - Songs For Imaginative People

In this web-exclusive, Hatti Linnell has a listen to the latest offering from Darwin Deez.

Darwin Deez fans have been waiting almost three years for the follow-up to the band's eponymous debut. Their last album defined Darwin Deez as a band who sang about radar detectors and posted YouTube videos of them doing a crab dance to the Thompson Twins. They were the kind of band that could sing the words "every day ought to be a bad day for you" and, because of the conversely major guitar chords in the background, still make it sound like a happy statement.

The album Songs For Imaginative People takes a new turn for the band's musical direction. Frontman Darwin Smith's new lyrics are radically different to the bittersweet nature of the debut album, as the songs become increasingly concerned with philosophy and saying something influential. The doctrine of existentialism in particular permeates the album, but not always successfully. Mixing Jean-Paul Sartre quotations and the Lord's Prayer in the bridge of '(800) Human' does little to express Smith's actual opinion and instead leaves the song confused and meaningless. It works better in the lead single from the album, 'Free (The Editorial Me)', but this only mainly due to it containing more of the free-spirited, melodically sunny disposition of the previous album.

All in all, there are probably four good songs out of ten on the album: 'You Can't Be My Girl,' 'Free', 'No Love' and 'Redshift', probably the high point of the album. Smith stands securely on the familiar debut album-ground of alluding to science and space. Lyrics such as "the universe is mostly empty space without you" make it the most emotionally expressive song, and a rare moment in the album where the music is actually relatable. 'No Love' contains a comforting return to Smith's staple quirky analogies, here comparing his feelings to a Microsoft Word document - clever, but not pretentious as some of the other lyrics come across. Many of the other songs are forgettable and just feel like filler.

Overall, the album is a disappointment as the music seems to have lost of its light-heartedness. Clearly the band have matured and are inspired by different things, which is a good thing. But, personally, I think Darwin Deez are much better when they are singing about love, and not making obscure intellectual references which don't quite ring true.

Rick Posted on Sunday 15 Dec 2019

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and very broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I'll try to get the hang of it!