Football Web Exclusives Sport

Wentworth hit James for six in Spring opener

Wentworth got their Spring Term campaign off to a dream start in a 6-1 demolition of James College on 22 Acres

Images This article has had its images hidden due to a legal challenge. Learn more about images in the Nouse Archive

WENTWORTH 6-1 JAMES

Images: Philippa Grafton

Wentworth got their Spring Term campaign off to a dream start in a 6-1 demolition of James College on 22 Acres. The post-grads were in impressive form and today's win was a vast improvement from their last encounter with the Swans when the teams drew despite the latter only having ten men.

The match began with some early skirmishes in either box, however Wentworth quickly piled on the pressure to turn the match in their favour and soon got the breakthrough.

In a swift attack the ball fell at the feet of Ben Keane, who struck from far out, putting the ball past the keeper and a sleepy James defence.

It wasn't long before Wentworth doubled their lead when Greg Harrison tried his luck from long-range. Although the keeper saved it, an alert Tim Martin was waiting to tap it in and make it 2-0.

It might have been expected for James to come back at this point, however Wentworth kept pressing and soon Martin got his second as he slotted the ball past the keeper to make it three.

James did produce a few attacks of their own and there were calls for a penalty but the referee disagreed. The Swans' best chance of the match came after a scramble near the box led to a fierce shot on goal. Although it beat the keeper, James were denied a goal by the woodwork after the ball ricocheted off both posts.

Soon Wentworth were on the attack again, and Martin found himself one on one with Rylan Gooch, but calmly dribbled his way round the goalie to get his hat-trick.

There were some chances for both teams in the dying minutes of the first half but the it ended 4-0 at the break.

At the start of the second half James had the first series of attacks, however Wentworth soon went back to their form of the first 45 minutes. After various attempts to get into the James box, the ball flew out to Harrison who produced a spectacular half-volley for a debut goal and Wentworth's fifth.

James responded and produced some more threatening chances, the best being a shot that went over the keeper but also the bar.

However Wentworth were not done yet and after a scramble in the box Selahattin Kosunalp knocked it in for Wentworth's final goal of the game.

James did grab a consolation goal when, after a good attack down the wing, they found the net from the left side of the pitch.

The last real chance of the game came when Harrison went on a run and found himself one on one with the keeper only for his shot to be saved by the his opponent, meaning the match ended 6-1.

Andrew Sutton, Wentworth manager, commented on his team's performance: "I am ecstatic with the way we played. It was a very professional performance. We were clinical and didn't give much away. Everyone played well and we didn't make many errors."

James captain Josh Spurling commented, "It's is the worst performance by I've seen. We were absolutely garbage. They deserved to win but, no disrespect to Wentworth, we should have done better. Last term we drew with them with only ten men. It is a very disappointing start considering we won the league last term."

Wentworth: Cook, Sellers, Warner, Cantrell, Keane, Kosunalp, Parker, Harrison, Martin, Cukurova, Green, Townson.

James: Gooch, Al-Hassan, Pisk, Elliot, Woodman, Spurling (C), Haresnape, Gill, Austin, Briars, Jopson.

Latest in Football

River Posted on Tuesday 5 Feb 2013

Well done, Wenty.