Fashion Shows Web Exclusives Muse

Paris Couture 2013 - Chanel Show Report

Chanel took Paris Couture Week by storm with one of the most profound shows this season

With a remarkable setting of an enchanting gothic Midsummers Night's Dream--themed set, Chanel took Paris Couture Week by storm. Head designer Karl Lagerfeld created the new SS13 collection with traditional Chanel style still in mind but spiced it up with a pinch of modern, dark flavour. Eccentric eye makeup and oversized opulent headpieces, entwined both elegance and gothic edges together to create one of the most profound shows this season.

Chanel-Couture-Spring-2013-Look-41

Many original Chanel designs made it back onto the runway this year, including the traditional tailored Chanel suit, which had been designed with a cropped jacket partnered with midi skirts, subverting the usual Chanel look fashion experts are used to seeing. Lagerfeld focused on oversized silhouettes, with off the shoulder creations and bell-shaped skirts, all embracing the ever-elegant black and white theme alongside splashes of muted primary colours. The bold graphics used on the clothes proved a quintessential feature of this year's collection, set off to stunning effect by extravagantly dramatic facial features and over-exaggerated hair.

Chanel-Couture-Spring-2013-Look-15

The gothic yet elegant look of Chanel was captured in the designs, which combined a recurring use of floral patterns alongside a fusion of textured materials. Lagerfeld kept the outfits top heavy, using sleek silhouettes mainly to the lower garments, creating fitted midi dresses, fish tail skirts and tailored trousers whilst creating oversized, layered and feathered upper garments. The overall effect was one of creating a balance between elegance and modernity for the outfits as a whole. Chanel set the tone for oversized, extravagant pieces that are sure to filter down to the high street very soon. Once again, this season brings with it a touch of elegance for the fashion follower with a splash of vibrant femininity.