Fashion Fashion Features Muse

Freshers' Guide to Fashion in York

The Freshers' Guide to fashion and shopping in York

York may not be a city known for its fashion, but hidden within its winding and tourist filled streets are some real fashion gems. There is a good range of high street and vintage stores, although unluckily for students these are the higher end fashion stores such as Zara, Jack Wills and Reiss, rather than classic high street favourites like Primark.

Nonetheless, if you are a high street junkie and want to stay on trend, there are some brilliant stores, constantly refilled and refreshed with new pieces. As a self-confessed Topshop obsessive, I have to admit the store in York is one of the best, purely as the collection of clothes is always being added to, with new pieces fresh off the website.

Urban Outfitters recently opened in York too, and Ark is another popular student choice, as it is just as up to date with recent trends, but provides a less guilty shop with more student friendly prices.

However, if you are more inclined to shop for designer labels, York shops will also appeal. Sarah Coggles, a unisex independent on Low Petergate set to rival Asos online, stocks numerous fashion labels including Vivienne Westwood, Obey, DVF and Marc by Marc Jacobs. Just down the road from Coggles is a Barbour store, catering for the equestrian Yorkshire style, and a Van Mildert, which is great for designer menswear.

A short bus ride away from campus is the Designer Outlet, which has a decent range of shops such as Fred Perry, Calvin Klein and The Kooples. There are numerous savings throughout the outlet and they frequently host student lock-in events which offers even more discount.

A tip I can't recommend enough before shopping in York is having a NUS student card, as not all shops will accept a York University card and as a student, a saving of at least ten per cent is always helpful!

York though is not just about high street fashion, but is a city blessed with still being able to accommodate independent shops, including some great vintage stores. A particular student favourite is Deep on Fossgate, which caters for both guys and girls and boasts customised vintage pieces. Purple Haze, The Vintage Emporium and the many charity shops on Goodramgate are also worth a look if vintage chic is your style.

On the market directly next to the Shambles is a little known vintage stall which sells pieces such as chunky knit jumpers from about fiver, which on a student budget is a brilliant place to pick up some new clothes.

So despite not being known for its fashion, York luckily does have a good range of shops and with the designer outlet, and Leeds and Harrogate only a train away, there will be something to satisfy all styles.

Angelique Posted on Thursday 21 Nov 2019

I must say, I loved the shops in York. I have good memories of my student loan disappearing only to be replaced by a new item of clothing. Ahhhh those days I would live on cereal, biscuits and beans for a week for a new pair of shoes.