Football College Cup Web Exclusives Sport

Langwith suffer penalty heartache to send Wentworth through

Despite not enjoying the best of the game, Wentworth seconds edged their way into the Plate final after producing an almost perfect set of penalties against Langwith firsts

LANGWITH FIRSTS 1-1 WENTWORTH SECONDS (3-4 on penalties)
Plate Semi Final

Images: Agatha Torrance

Despite not enjoying the best of the game, Wentworth seconds edged their way into the Plate final after producing an almost perfect set of penalties against Langwith firsts.

Langwith probably deserved to progress on the balance of play, enjoying numerous scoring chances but showcasing an inability to convert.

Wentworth now face this year's surprise package Vanbrugh thirds, in what is sure to be a tightly-contested final.

Wentworth's goal was the first genuine incident in the game. Rich Rhodes powered in a long throw to the Langwith penalty area, with Mutlu Cukurova flicking a header into the corner of the net beyond Kris Cheshire.

As the half progressed, it was Langwith that looked the more settled side, passing the ball around with a patient and composed rhythm.

Andy Doyle curled the ball hard at goal, drawing a good save from Jon Cook. And it was Doyle again that was providing the main threat, heading a powerful effort against the post with Cook helpless.

Finally, the inevitable Langwith equaliser arrived via the boot of Bruce Starkey. James MacDonald fired low into the box from the wing, and Starkey was able to composedly divert past Cook.

Langwith then began their search for an equaliser, with Cook again having to react to the threat of Doyle, this time having to tip other another goal bound header.

Kieran Hazell poked a long throw over the bar from close range, the greatest opportunity of the match so far.

The second half saw captain Andy Hutt with a nice piece of flair, flicking the ball in mid-air towards the goal. With just a little more power, it would have completely caught out Cook in the Wentworth net.

The post-grads then enjoyed one of their few opportunities, Kearney driving at goal but Cheshire alert to the threat.

Matt Jones found himself on the end of a flowing team move, firing from the edge of the area over the bar. However, by these late stages, it appeared that penalties were inevitable.

Lachlan Murray enjoyed one final opportunity, a wonderful ball by Dan Horsfall raced onto by the lanky Scotsman. However, a great block by a Langwith man prevented the goal.

And so to penalties. Despite their position as second best in the 60 minutes of the game, Wentworth had no problems in dispatching a flawless set of penalties, leaving Kris Cheshire with no chance.

Langwith, however, were not so deadly from the spot. Tom Rudden found his effort well saved by Cook, despite the apparent precision of his penalty. Bruce Starkey, with the vital penalty to keep Langwith in the match, smashed his effort onto the bar, inspiring elation amongst the Wentworth contingent.

Wentworth coach Dan Howdon told Nouse, "Again, just a brilliant performance against a team that are probably better than us. Nobody was giving us a chance today, but, despite being fat and old, we got through."

Meanwhile, his Langwith counterpart Andy Hutt stated, "I'm disappointed with the result. We played better than them; we tried to pass it around a bit. It's just one of those things."

Langwith: Cheshire, Gardener, Prescott, Rudden, Wilcox, Hazell, Jones, Doyle, Starkey, Hutt, MacDonald

Man of the match: James MacDonald

Wentworth: Cook, Beacham, Townson, Seelo, Eslick, Rhodes, Sutton, Abdoulaye, Murray, Cukurova, Kearney

Man of the match: Samir Abdoulaye

chris lyons Posted on Wednesday 24 Apr 2019

Having crashed out last year on penalties, great to see Wenty 2nds make the final this time! Just hope Dan Horsfall did not miss again!!
They now face an opposition that have already knocked out Wenty 1sts so should easily beat a 2nds team! I just hope Wenty can huff, puff and wheeze through against a younger, faster and fitter oppositiomn with a combined age younger than Mark Eslick; its bound to be an easy win for the young boys, but you never know..........
Good luck Wenty