Football Roses Web Exclusives Sport

York thirds battle to 1-1 draw

In a fiery and physical Roses clash, the University of York thirds battled hard to earn a 1-1 draw against an aggressive Lancaster side (Thumbnail credit Image: Philippa Grafton)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 1-1 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY

In a fiery and physical Roses clash, the University of York thirds battled hard to earn a 1-1 draw against an aggressive Lancaster side.

York had taken an early lead through Sam Astbury's header, before The Reds' had a penalty saved. Lancaster did equalise though, moments before half time, through captain Luke Vardy. Tempers flared with some forceful challenges in the second half and matters were not helped by an antagonistic home crowd; but York gave as good as they got, and held Lancaster to the final whistle.

The home side had started brightly and bombarded York with a long ball assault, but it was the White Rose who took the lead, against the run of play. In a rare jaunt up field, Hamish Denham's long throw met the head of Sam Astbury who towered above his man to score.

Lancaster resumed then resumed their pressure and forced two remarkable saves from York keeper Jonny Sim in as many minutes. Left back Sam Mellor, who was targeted for particular abuse from the home fans, was then injured after a reckless challenge from Lancaster's Jordan Hughes. His replacement, Luke Stevenson, was caught in the face by Anders Fiers within minutes of entering the fray and York were temporarily down to ten men as he nursed a bloody nose.

York ended the first half firmly on the back foot and conceded a penalty for a challenge on Hughes. Sim guessed right and made the save, but the lead would not last much longer, as Vardy stabbed home on the stroke of half time.

After the restart, the challenges flew in thick and fast with frustrations on both sides starting to show. Hamish Denham was booked for a crunching challenge on Lancaster's right back.

Lancaster enjoyed another period of dominance and again Sim was called into action, denying both Lancaster strikers. Admittedly, York's opportunities were limited to the occasional jinking run from Elliot Ragan, but nothing must be taken from a resolute defensive display.

In the closing moments, a give and go between Denham and Regan saw York go close, but they could not find a winner.

Captain Matt Bainbridge commented, "We were on the back foot for a lot of the game, but we can be happy with the solid defensive display. We all really pulled together." On man of the match Sim he said, "Jonny was brilliant today and we'll definitely owe him a few pints later!"

Hamish denham Posted on Sunday 18 Aug 2019

I did not make the first tackle. Ben Smith made the first tackle.

Rohan Posted on Sunday 18 Aug 2019

I do apologise. But yours was bloody hard!