Hockey Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Women's hockey seconds breeze past Roses opponents

York's women's hockey seconds thrashed their Roses opponents 4-0 on Saturday (Thumbnail credit Image: Philippa Grafton)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 4-0 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY

York's women's hockey seconds thrashed their Roses opponents 4-0 on Saturday.

The visitors began strongly and quickly gained a short corner, which was missed, but after a sustained period of pressure Harriet Mills opened the scoring to make it 1-0.

The away team continued to attack and Anna Williamson had a long shot blocked by the keeper.

The visitors kept pressing and Tamsin French made her way down the right past the Lancaster defenders before her shot was saved by the keeper.

However York soon doubled their lead when Mills passed it across goal for Tamsin French to tap in just before the break.

After half time Anna Williamson received a yellow card for what the York support described as "doing absolutely nothing."

York continued to attack though and Lancaster received a yellow card of their own when their player broke too early on a short corner.

Tamsin French then had another good run but couldn't quite get the shot away before Nat Montezuma passed it into Mills on the right side of goal, who finished it off to make it 3-0.

Lancaster then produced an attack of their own and sent the ball across goal but couldn't get a player on the receiving end to tap it in.

York responded with another great attack, finished by Montezuma who hit a powerful shot in from the left after cutting open the defence.

In the closing stages York continued to control the match and had a goal disallowed but overall it was brilliant performance form the away team.

York captain Harriet Nichols said after the game, "It was a good last game. I'm happy we've gone out on a high. We really enjoyed it, the opposition played well, and it was a really good game."

York: Williamson, Anderson, Diamond, Mills, Nichols (C), Heywood, French, Harrison, Rawlings, Bramwell, Artherton, Montezuma