Football Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Women's football fall to Roses defeat

In what was a frustrating Roses clash, the York women's football team were defeated 2-0 by a strong Lancaster side (Thumbnail credit Image: Philippa Grafton)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 0-2 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY

In what was a frustrating Roses clash, the York women's football team were defeated 2-0 by a strong Lancaster side.

The home side's passing was sharp; there was pace and purpose to their play and, most importantly, they finished off their superiority with two goals, while York, save for the occasional flash of brilliance from central midfielder Marte Wang, were limited to speculative efforts from midfield.

Lancaster took the lead around the quarter hour mark, following a defensive mix up and this set the tone for the rest of the match. York lacked confidence when they had the ball, and were hesitant when they did not.

Nevertheless, there were chances for them to get back into the game. Just before half time, in a rare jaunt up field, Wang turned her marker and released winger Bea Rye who drilled in an aggressive cross from the wide right. The ball appeared to strike a Lancaster player's arm in the box, but the referee waved away any York appeals for a penalty. This and a deflected Holly Knott strike soon after, represented the best chance of a York equaliser in the first half.

Unfortunately, the composure and calmness of Wang were not extended to her team mates, and this allowed Lancaster to apply a sustained period of pressure.

A second Lancaster goal followed after the restart as The Reds' exposed York's over-commitment in advanced positions, and their number nine slotted coolly past a helpless Megan Phillips.

There was a small York resurgence in the dying moments of the game, and a jinking run from Rye teed up Savannah Green who shot just wide, but it was too little too late, and Lancaster took the points.

Ultimately, York's tentativeness in the final third, as well as their indecision at the back is what cost them, while nothing should be taken away from Lancaster, who were the better side.