Other Sports Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Mixed results for York fencers

York's fencers achieved a comprehensive victory in the men's event while the women's team narrowly lost out on taking the points (Thumbnail credit Image: Agatha Torrance)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK MEN 135-108 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY MEN

UNIVERSITY OF YORK WOMEN 122-135 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY WOMEN

York's fencers achieved a comprehensive victory in the men's event while the women's team narrowly lost out on taking the points.

In the sabre York's men put in a great performance, gaining a 15 point lead. Bairong Huang was particularly impressive, winning his opening bout 7-2 and winning his other bouts while Paul Goddard also performed well, winning one bout 5-2.

York's women put in a credible performance in this class, generally their weakest one, narrowly losing it 45-43 with Lizzie Smith winning two bouts, one by a four point margin, and drawing one.

It was a closer contest in the foil for the men who won the class 45-34. Dan Cornwell got York off to a great start winning the first bout 5-1 while every player won at least one bout.

In the women's foil, despite putting in several good bouts, with Sophie Mason winning one 11-3, they lost the class 45-36, meaning they had to gain 12 points in the final class to win overall.

In the epee York's men got off to a brilliant start with Phil Sellars and Tom Skingle winning bouts 5-2 and George 5-3. Lancaster then won the following two bouts to gain back some points however Phil Sellars won 6-1 to put York back in control with the visitor's eventually winning the class 45-44 and 135-108 overall.

York's three person women's team put in a great effort against an abundant Lancaster squad with Louise Highton winning her first bout 5-0. However Lancaster continued to fence well and just won the class 45-43 meaning the overall score was 135-122. It was a brave performance from York and the Lancaster win probably came down to the fact they had a large team so could swap in fresh players to take on the York trio.