Hockey Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Comeback not enough for men's hockey seconds

York's men's hockey seconds went down 3-2 to Lancaster on Saturday despite a brave comeback (Thumbnail credit Image: Agatha Torrance)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 2-3 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY

York's men's hockey seconds went down 3-2 to Lancaster on Saturday despite a brave comeback.

Lancaster put on the pressure early on in the match and quickly made it 1-0 with a long range shot after a strong attack.

York responded by gaining two short corners but could not gain anything out of these and Lancaster broke on the counter attack with devastating consequences. In a quick break the same player who had already scored hit the back of the goal from far out on the right side of the pitch.

This seemed to encourage better play by the visitors though who began to put pressure on the home team and nearly scored from a short corner. After some good play York finally got the breakthrough as Harry Bercis passed it across goal for Sam Unsworth to fire the ball past the keeper.

This was a dramatic change to the game as James Talbot soon equalised for York with a great shot from the right which silenced the previously jubilant and rowdy Lancaster crowd just before half time.

After the break York quickly gained a short corner but couldn't take advantage of it. However Lancaster responded by breaking away and hit a shot wide of goal. The second half largely consisted of end to end hockey with both teams having good chances, but the visitors were undone as the game drew to a close. With ten minutes left Lancaster gained a short corner and then had several shots on goal and, although Dong-Oh Shin produced a great save, the home team were able to knock in the loose ball.

York did have chances before the end of the match but unfortunately couldn't convert them. It was a brave performance and the visitors produced some great hockey, but some early mistakes proved costly.

York Captain Alex Lonsdale said after the match, "It was very very tight, tighter than expected, they played very well. There was a period when we were on top of them and we didn't really take advantage of that. We played well to be honest and two of the Lancaster goals probably shouldn't have been and were quite fortunate."