Other Sports Roses Web Exclusives Sport

York sailors exact Roses revenge in final race thriller

Last year's defeat after a long period of dominance meant the sailors were out for revenge in their Roses bout (Thumbnail credit Image: Anna Dean)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 3-2 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY

Last year's defeat after a long period of dominance meant the sailors were out for revenge in their Roses bout.

Lancaster were favourites having had their best ever season but with a rapidly improving York team, the races were set to be highly competitive. York's sailors claimed the victory, winning 3-2 after a tense final match decider.

Sailing at Roses uses the team racing format made up of three boats and six sailors per team, with the aim of securing a lower points total in each race than the opposition. One point is awarded for first, two points for second and so on.

Representing the White Rose in 2012 were Matt Goacher, Jo Bradley, Sam Edom, Grace Redhead, Radheeka Jirasinha and Sarah Thake.

With racing underway, York came out on top in an incident filled encounter. Jirasinha and Thake showed blistering pace in the early stages of the race which was backed up by forcing Lancaster boats back into fifth and sixth.

With the Lancaster team rattled, the second race of the day was over extremely quickly. Edom and Redhead ensured a Lancaster boat was in last place off the start, leaving Goacher and Bradley to lead the race. Securing the first and second combination guaranteed the race win and left York needing just one more race win to take overall victory. However, Lancaster found their speed in races three and four to level the score at 2-2, as York struggling to assert their tactics.

York entered the deciding race with a solid game plan choosing to each attack one Lancaster boat in the three minute pre-start countdown. With just a few seconds to the start, York's pressure forced contact between two of Lancaster's boats leading to penalty spins being given by the umpire.

After a great start by York, the Lancaster captain worked hard to get his team mates back into the race. With the race firmly in the balance, more drama was to follow as Edom and Redhead worked brilliantly with Goacher and Bradley to force Lancaster's captain to make an error and touch the first buoy to collect a penalty spin. York held a perfect one,two,three combination but the variable breeze meant the race was far from over.

Jirasinha and Thake successfully held up the Lancaster boats to ease the pressure on the leading duo. Crossing the finish line in first, second and third was the best way to celebrate a thrilling victory for York.

York seconds continued the success in their non-points scoring competition. Another five race thriller once again saw York come out with a 3-2 victory.

The team has improved massively over the course of this year and with a stable squad of fantastic sailors, the sailing team is aiming very high next year.