Other Sports Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Tennis club beat Lancaster in thrilling ties

Both the men and women did York proud on Saturday as both squads came away with outstanding 5-4 victories (Thumbnail credit Image: Hoagy Davis-Digges)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK MEN 5-4 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY MEN

UNIVERSITY OF YORK WOMEN 5-4 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY WOMEN

Both the men and women did York proud on Saturday as both squads came away with outstanding 5-4 victories. The quality of tennis was exemplary from both sides, but ultimately it was York who came away with the points in both of these hard fought ties.

In the first round of doubles, the men struggled. Top seeds Sam Davies and Maxime Reby raced into an early 3-1 lead, but ultimately succumbed to a 6-4 6-2 defeat from a strong and well-drilled Lancaster pair, despite playing some outstanding tennis. Captain Peter Masters and Max Andrews fared little better as they were defeated 6-4 6-3 in an error strewn performance. However the duo of Steve McNicol and Nils Morosz gave York hope with a comfortable 6-2 6-3 victory.

In the women's York dominated early on, with victories for Natasha Johnson and Charlotte Baldwin who defeated their opponents 7-6 6-2, and Vikki Whittaker and her partner Annie Campbell who eventually won a thriller 6-2, 4-6, 7-6 (10-5). It was looking good also for the pairing of Jessi Harrison and Kathi Thanner who sauntered through the first set 6-1 playing some scintillating tennis. However they lost the following set 6-2 and narrowly lost out in the tie break 14-12 to get Lancaster's first win on the board.

For the men, the singles matches were in complete contrast to the doubles as they secured victory with successive comfortable victories. Top seed Davies cantered past his opponent 6-1 6-3 playing some Federer-esque shots to ruthlessly expose his tired opponent. Reby continued the tradition with a 6-1 6-2 demolition of his Lancastrian counterpart. Only a single game was lost by Morosz who made his opponent look distinctly amateur in a crushing 6-0 6-1 win. Andrews quite frankly let the side down, conceding a mammoth 5 games in a mere 6-3 6-2 victory to secure the tie for the men. Captain Masters and McNicol were unable to defeat their foes, but this did not matter as York's superior tennis earlier on had secured a well-deserved victory.

Over on the women's courts, some sensational tennis was played and again it was York who came out on top. York took an early lead with Sarah White dismantling her opponent's game in a devastating 6-1 6-0 thrashing. Skipper Naomi White did not fare quite as well as her namesake, as she fell short in a spirited performance to lose 6-3 6-2. Baldwin secured a return to winning ways as she outclassed her opponent with a 6-3 6-1 victory. However defeats for Johnson (6-1 6-1) and Harrison (6-2 6-2) meant that it came down to the final singles game. Thanner duly obliged for York, securing a 6-4 6-4 triumph in a game of high quality which ebbed and flowed, which meant the ladies had matched their male counterparts in winning the tie 5-4.

York's tennis is at the top of its game at the moment, and with performances like we saw on Saturday, there is much to come from our mercurial racquet-swingers.