Hockey Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Split points in the women's hockey firsts

The women's hockey firsts recovered well from the setback of an early goal to earn a good draw with their Lancaster rivals (Thumbnail credit Image: Hoagy Davis-Digges)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 1-1 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY

The women's hockey firsts recovered well from the setback of an early goal to earn a good draw with their Lancaster rivals. Emily Lucas' superbly skilled effort cancelled out the Lancaster goal, and the result was by all accounts deserved by both teams.

The goal for the Red Rose was the first major incident of the game. Lancaster came quickly out of the traps, as a Red Rose attacker wormed her way into the area before firing hard at goal. Although Laura Porter was able to get a good hand to the shot, the ball trickled in.

Imy Eldergill-Storm almost immediately equalised after a goalmouth scramble, but her shot was pushed wide by inches.

After this exciting opening to the match, there was a marked lull in the pace of the game. Play became congested in the centre of the park, and chances became few and far between.

There were no other incidents until the end of the half, with the exception of a York player blocking the goal-bound shot of a teammate with her face. It looked incredibly painful, and she did very well to maintain her composure in front of a vocal Lancaster crowd.

The start of the second half saw York increasingly pushing for an equaliser. This was soon found in superb style, as the ball reached Emily Lucas inside the area. She performed an excellent reverse sweep into the corner, leaving the keeper with no chance.

The remainder of the match again lacked truly clear cut chances. Both teams enjoyed a series of penalty corners, but both failed to go close with any of these chances. This was a testament to the defensive strength and organisation of both sides, which was impressive throughout the tie. The closest chance from these fell to York, who flashed a shot wide in the closing stages of the game.

Hannah Gage, captain of the women's firsts, accepted the result, telling Nouse "We've had a great season, winning promotion in both BUCs and the Saturday league. Roses would have been the icing on the cake, but I guess it wasn't to be. I'm so proud of all the girls."