Netball Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Netball firsts fall short in spirited effort

Despite a heavy 54-29 defeat on Saturday, York's ladies could not be faulted for effort as they succumbed to a powerful Lancaster side (Thumbnail credit Image: Philippa Grafton)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 29-54 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY

Despite a heavy 54-29 defeat on Saturday, York's ladies could not be faulted for effort as they succumbed to a powerful Lancaster side. In a tie which pitched them against a team two leagues above them, it was always going to be a tough ask.

And that it was. The tone was set within the first 20 seconds, as Lancaster came close twice to opening the scoring, and quickly did so with some slick passing moves which left the York defence for dead. Indeed, Lancaster raced into a 13-6 lead in the first quarter, with Goal Shooter Riddlestone in fine form, leaving York Goal Keeper Knight clueless throughout the first 15 minutes.

Despite the withdrawal of an exasperated Knight and the shifting of Wing Attack Neblett to GK, the floodgates remained wide open, with Riddlestone living up to her name, causing all sorts of headaches for the York defence. At the end of the second quarter, the gap in the score had grown to 15 points, as Lancaster raced into a 27-12 lead.

When York did get forward, their progress was halted regularly by a stout Lancaster defence, with York GS Masterson only occasionally getting opportunity to stick the ball in the net. By the end of the third quarter Lancaster had extended their lead to 40-19 and York ran the risk of being completely overwhelmed.

It was evident that York were beginning to become frustrated, with Ferris and skipper Rebecca O'Dwyer giving away penalties all too often. However they battled back commendably in the final quarter, showing exemplary spirit against this outstanding Lancaster side. Masterson and Goal Attack Griffiths finally managed to escape the shackles of the tiring opposition defence and were able to add 10 points. However this fight back invariably came too late and York succumbed to a 54-29 loss.

York captain O'Dwyer said after the game, "I don't think the score reflected the effort we put in. At the end of the day they're a team two leagues above us so we can leave with our heads held high."

15 Comments

uync Posted on Sunday 18 Aug 2019

Lottie Knight was certainly not 'exasperated', she had to come off with an ankle injury. Also, how can an experienced netball player be called 'clueless'? She reads the game perfectly.

UYNC Posted on Sunday 18 Aug 2019

nice one nouse for sending out reporters to comment on games they have no knowledge about, so your sexist reporters have to resort to using football terminology, funny how they sit our bench tweeting sexist comments, and don't have the balls to say it to our faces...ironic?

it's always lovely to know you have your own uni to support you, would have been nice if they actually had paid any attention to the games, they might have reported something right, don't give up the day jobs.

Lee Posted on Sunday 18 Aug 2019

Gender discrimination is such a woman thing to do

Be realistic Posted on Sunday 18 Aug 2019

@UYNC - bit harsh maybe?

1. Reporter knows nothing about netball - Ok, so if he doesnt know anything about netball what do you want nouse to do diffrently? Choose from one of the millions of willing reporters lining up to help out who do understand netball? Or seeing as there probably aren't these people do you want them to not send anyone at all? Seems they face an impossible task there.

2. Sexist comments - Obvs not cool, but not really connected to the report not being very good. But tbf to you I havent seen the comments.

3. Talking of your own uni not supporting you,clearly they are supporting you here even if they havent done it as well as you would want?

4. Dont give up the day jobs... pot, kettle, black. how good is the netball division youre in? fifth league of uni netball or something... impressive.

Lee Posted on Sunday 18 Aug 2019

Can't we all just agree that Lottie ain't no Andy Carroll

Meeeeennnnnntttaallll Posted on Sunday 18 Aug 2019

Object of game is to score more goals than the other team.
Ball must pass through a designated area which is defended.
Positions are described by the area of the court which they cover.
If the ball goes out of play, depending on which team it hit last, it will be awarded as a throw on to the other.
Terms like "interception", "attack", "score", "defence", "keeper", "counter", "breakaway", "pass", "shoot" are all used to describe the state of play.

Not like football though obv

P+P Posted on Sunday 18 Aug 2019

@Be Realistic
1. I'd like Nouse to perhaps have used a female reporter, NOT because of any feminist agenda because at least they would have played the sport (at school, or one of the college players) and therefore have had a full understanding of the positions on court. OR have asked someone on the team who had reported well and fairly for Nouse before, the options are there. Far removed from an ''impossible task''- Roses 2010 saw both male and female reporters collaborating to produce really succinct, good reports. Quality of reporting has gone right down- (that's my opinion.)
2. Yes- there were many unnecessary remarks made on the individuals who reported twitter accounts- they have been raised with the editor.
3. In comparison to other sporting reports, it seems to take a different tone.
4.The Team is in the 4th division, with the netball 2nd team narrowly coming second in their league after 8 matches undefeated. Get your facts right.
@Mennntttaalll- the term that is ridiculous is ''the front four''- never, ever, been, or should be used when referring to a netball game.

Uync Posted on Sunday 18 Aug 2019

I don't think anyone would agree that hockey and lacrosse should be compared just because they use a stick. Look forward to reading Nouse's next report comparing Anna Yeomans to Ashley Jackson. Just get reporters that understand the game properly, or moral of the story is don't bother writing the reports, what's the point?

Mark Lawrenson Posted on Sunday 18 Aug 2019

Clearly the reporter knows bugger all about netball, so what? At least he was there and called it as he saw it.

As for the "sexist" comments, I took the liberty to have a browse of this chap's twitter, and as far as I could see there were merely two comments, which, in my view, were just a bloke being bloke-ish, no malice there at all.

The debate here is the definition of a storm in a teacup.

P+P Posted on Sunday 18 Aug 2019

@Mark Lawrenson- main comments that caused offensive were quickly deleted.
And, also, if Nouse is striving to be as professional as possible, like other student and national newspapers then saying 'so what?' to sending a reporter with no knowledge is frankly unacceptable. You wouldn't be saying 'so what' if a person who had zero knowledge of rugby, for example, covered a high-profile game. In 2010, Adam Shergold (Sports Editor at the time) came and reported on numerous netball matches throughout the year so he had a great grasp on the team's members and performance throughout the season. This is reflective of lack of interest by Nouse in sporting teams throughout their BUCS seasons. I know that covering all matches is a big challenge, but standards have slipped. Nouse reporters, in general, don't have working sporting knowledge needed to avoid this debate.

uync Posted on Sunday 18 Aug 2019

@mark lawrenson
however many comments were written it's disrespectful and unfair to the players involved in the sport, to be quite frank you've all embarrassed yourselves as reporters to be so narrow-minded as to cross-reference other sports to our game, not just in this report, but in previous ones referring to one of our keepers as 'van der sar', are you kidding?

and as for 'bloke being bloke-ish' that never has and never will be a valid excuse for sexist remarks to be used, let alone publicly on a social networking site

@Postage and Packaging

Deleted quickly? Really? I followed this guy's twitter all weekend, as it was largely amusing, those were the only two tweets that he posted about the netballers. If I'm honest I expected more! I'm not defending what he said, just that it can't have been much worse than the "banter" netballers receive on a night out.

Re Nouse and their attitude to BUCS sport. Your assumption of Nouse of having a "lack of interest" in BUCS sport is quite frankly absurd. The sports editors have, from what I have seen, covered as much as they possibly can this year. If you think you can do better, then why didn't you run for sports editor if it is such an easy job to do?

Frank Warren Posted on Sunday 18 Aug 2019

Everyone should calm down, this controversy is a clear publicity stunt from the Netball Club, attempting to get someone to read a match report about Netball.

P+P Posted on Sunday 18 Aug 2019

@Mark Lawrenson.
The netball club have recorded the numerous tweets- also from other reporter's twitter pages.
I personally have contacted Nouse on a few occasions and have asked them to come down to cover two matches that were fairly important- one being a cup match and another league game against Northumbria. Reporters did not attend either of these matches. I'm not saying they have a ''complete lack of interest'' but from experiencing the reporting in my first year of university I can judge that organization is less impressive than it used to be. The coverage of Netball by Nouse has been fairly sparse. Never said I could do better- I'm comparing the standards of reporting from then to now. Obviously, I recognize that this isn't always the fault of the editors themselves- it is hard to find reporters to cover every single game. When it came to Roses, care should have been taken to ensure a fair and informed report was produced.

Jonathan Frost Posted on Sunday 18 Aug 2019

Thank you for all your views.

In defence of Nouse, and the Sports team, I can assure you that there is no lack of interest in any sport, and a very stretched team cover as much as humanly possible. Nothing has been covered in a different tone. The reporter assigned to this game has apologised repeatedly, and intended no offence.

Comments are now locked on this article, on the grounds that this discussion is off topic. Please direct any further complaints to editor@nouse.co.uk.

Jonathan, Web Editor