Hockey Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Men's hockey thirds euphoric after securing Roses point

In the first fixture of the second day of Roses, the men's hockey thirds turned their supremacy into victory in the final stages of the match, after being frustrated by the Lancaster defence for the majority of the game (Thumbnail credit Image: Philippa Grafton)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 1-0 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY

In the first fixture of the second day of Roses, the men's hockey thirds turned their supremacy into victory in the final stages of the match, after being frustrated by the Lancaster defence for the majority of the game. The hero was midfielder Chris Butterworth, who, aside from enjoying a brilliant game, had the composure to finish one of York's few clear chances with aplomb.

The Black and Gold found their first chance soon into the match. After being awarded a penalty corner, the ball fell to Danny Williams, who fired high and hard at goal. Only a reflex action from a Lancaster defender on the line diverted the ball over the bar.

York enjoyed much of the early pressure, but they were unable to make this tell. A counter attack from a Lancaster short corner found only the side netting, whilst Declan Hall's effort swooped past the post after he reacted quickest when a low cross was fired across the area.

As the half time whistle went, the match had remained a cagey encounter throughout, with clear cut chances a rarity. The only major incident was a Lancaster sin bin after persistent foul play, which was greeted with joy by the vocal York contingent.

As the second half began, Chris Butterworth broke into the area and saw his low effort fly just past the post. This was soon followed up by a Lancaster chance, superbly saved by keeper Mike Ward, who got low quickly to react to the threat.

York, however, remained firmly on top. Two chances saw the White Rose come incredibly close to breaking the deadlock, with Hall again within inches of scoring, his effort barely cleared off the line by the Lancaster goalie.

Finally, York found that elusive goal. A well organised penalty corner drill found Butterworth with plenty of space in the centre of the D. The York man fired hard and low into the corner, inspiring scenes of elation on the sidelines.

York pressed for further goals, with Williams forcing a brilliant save from Lancaster's keeper after he flicked high towards goal. However, the Lancaster team were far from defeated, as they again made Mike Ward showcase his talent, blocking with the body after a short corner.

As the final whistle rang out to cheers from the York crowd, captain John Waghorn was delighted with his side's performance, stating "We didn't play as well as we could have done, but we got the crucial goal in the end. It's the first time the thirds team have won Roses. Craig Ferguson was immense today, but man of the match has to be Chris Butterworth."

York: Ward, Ferguson, Randall, Waghorn (C), Baldrey, Fleming, Butterworth, Patel, Hill, Williams, Scurr