Other Sports Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Men's basketball lose in epic Roses battle

The destination of the Carter-James Trophy was already decided before tip-off, but that didn't stop York and Lancaster's men's basketball teams from producing a thriller on Sunday afternoon (Thumbnail credit Image: Philippa Grafton)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 58-64 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY

The destination of the Carter-James Trophy was already decided before tip-off, but that didn't stop York and Lancaster's men's basketball teams from producing a thriller on Sunday afternoon.

In front of a huge crowd in the Sports Centre, this match proved to be one of the most exciting of the tournament.

York started quickly and raced into an 11-5 lead, largely thanks to incisive attacking play of Cameron Lange. But, with Lancaster clinical from the free-throw line, a series of fouls proved costly for the White Rose, and with only two seconds left in the quarter Lancaster levelled the scores at 14-14.

The second quarter was just as frantic as the first, but it was Lancaster who were now beginning to dominate. York's shooting was letting them down at times, in contrast to the deadly Red Rose who took a 31-26 lead into the half time break.

It was an incredibly tight battle, and the pattern of play was constant throughout the third quarter - York trying to close the gap, but Lancaster keeping them at arm's length. With the score at 41-38 with 10 minutes to play, it really was too close to call.

Lange and Andreas Boedt combined early in the final quarter to put York back into the lead, but every time York seemed to be in the ascendency Lancaster upped their game too.

Dan Baark's accuracy with free throws was a key factor in York's resurgence, but when he missed two with the clock counting down, York's best hope of victory had passed them by.

The final result was 64-58 in Lancaster's favour, but York had done themselves proud in one the weekend's most exciting contests.

York: Hill, Zicans, Baark, Gosden, Taptas, Lange, Rowland, Boedt, Bentley (C), Kincius