Football Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Football seconds collapse in Roses clash

York's men's football seconds were on the end of a 5-1 thrashing, as Lancaster grabbed two important points on Sunday morning (Thumbnail credit Image: Philippa Grafton)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 1-5 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY

York's men's football seconds were on the end of a 5-1 thrashing, as Lancaster grabbed two important points on Sunday morning.

The game began as it would continue, with Lancaster dominating possession and the White Rose left to chase shadows at times.

After 10 minutes, the hosts took the lead. A long ball was flicked on and Lancaster's mercurial striker took a delightful first touch and struck a crisp half-volley into the bottom corner.

They doubled their lead shortly after, as the Red Rose finally profited from a string of corners. This one was swung in under Luke Bradley's crossbar and bundled over the line.

Every time the ball came into the York box it seemed as if they would concede, and, although they began to come back into the game, they had little to cheer about at half time.

Immediately after the break, whatever hope York had held out was lost. A through ball was played in between Stu Dunk and Luke Gardener, and the Lancaster forward struck an immaculate lob to leave Bradley helpless.

And it was 4-0 barely a minute later, as York were again caught out by a long ball; a Lancaster man was once again able to lob Bradley, this time tapping in from close range afterwards.

With the final result beyond doubt, both sides seemed willing to play out the rest of the match without incident, though Lancaster still looked dangerous on the counter attack.

But just minutes before the final whistle, the rout was complete. The Lancastrian left winger was allowed to cut inside onto his right foot and drilled a shot under Bradley, who should have done better at his near post.

James Gutteridge was able to grab a late consolation goal, doing well to work himself space in the box, before curling a shot in between the previously unflappable Lancaster defenders and into the net.

It was immaterial though, and 5-1 was a thoroughly accurate reflection of the game, as York skipper Dunk affirmed at full time; he said, "We just weren't good enough today. We were beaten by the better team, their attackers were too strong for us, but we're disappointed because we can perform much better than that."

York: Bradley, Seed, Dunk (C), StGeorge, Gardener, Offord (Briars), Pilides, Tapper, Gutteridge, Gill, Rous-Ross