Rugby Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Men's rugby thirds turn on style in second-half romp

The men's thirds rugby team ground out an impressive 37 - 5 win against its gutsy Lancastrian opposition (Thumbnail credit Image: Agatha Torrance)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 37-5 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY

The men's thirds rugby team ground out an impressive 37 - 5 win against its gutsy Lancastrian opposition. After forty minutes the York side had just 6 points to show for their endeavours but a flurry of stylish second half tries proved too much for Lancaster, who eventually let York run out comfortable winners.

Fly-half Ed Harris opened his account in the first few minutes with a relatively straightforward penalty. It was Lancaster who had the first try-scoring opportunity as they break through on the ten minute mark, but impressive winger Michael Bloom and fullback Fergus McAllister scrambled well to extinguish the threat.

Harris and his opposite number then each missed further kicks at goal, before the York fly-half made amends, calmly adding another three points after Lancaster were penalised for handling in the ruck, taking the score to 6 - 0. It stayed that way until the end of the half.

The try-scoring deadlock broke just a few minutes into the second half, though. Lancaster gave away a free-kick at a lineout deep in their own territory and York did not hesitate to send its big ball carriers into the heart of the home defence. The ball was recycled out to the right and found Bloom, who danced outside the covering fullback to dive jubilantly over the line.

Although Harris missed the conversion, the 11 point deficit visibly disheartened Lancaster and signs of desperation began to creep into their game as York mounted pressure.

On 60 minutes a neat offload in midfield almost culminated with left winger Manuel Sarmento gathering his own fly hack to score. Lancaster kicked the ball away in desperation but York returned with interest and replacement winger George Davis found space to slide over in the right hand corner.

York's dominance continued and Davis might have had his brace a few minutes later but a sloppy pass denied him. The pressure on Lancaster was too great, though, and shortly afterwards Guy Skivington-Jones barged through a weak tackle and trundle gleefully under the sticks. Harris' conversion made it 23 - 0.

York began to cut loose and began making yards with ease, but a moment of poor handling caused a promising backline move to break down. Lancaster fly hacked downfield and York could only watch as an unpredictable bounce kept the ball in field and Lancaster troubled the score-keeper for the first and only time.

It was all York thereafter and forwards Santiago Parilli and Ollie Oates rumbled over for late tries. Matt Darroch had taken over the kicking duties and added conversions to round off an impressive, clinical victory for the 3rd XV.