Hockey Roses Web Exclusives Sport

York men stroll to indoor hockey win

York's men's indoor hockey team recorded a comfortable victory against Lancaster yesterday, winning 8-2 (Thumbnail credit Image: Philippa Grafton)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 8-2 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY

York's men's indoor hockey team recorded a comfortable victory against Lancaster yesterday, winning 8-2.

The match began as a closely fought encounter before the visitors ran away with it. York began aggressively and it wasn't long until Kris Stragnanan had his shot cleared off the line by the defender.

However York continued to push forward and after some good play down down the right the ball was sent back towards the centre, where James Branton fired the ball into the goal.

This was the briefest of leads though as Lancaster equalised immediately with a quick attack down the middle that culminated in a powerful shot at goal.

Lancaster then gained a controversial penalty corner which they converted to take the lead.

York did not let this get to them though as Leo Watton soon equalised before York gained a penalty after a foul by the keeper, which Hugo Christie converted.

The away team continued to attack and, after two missed shots, Kris Stragnanan scored to make it 4-2.

York then gained a short corner which was well taken, setting Hugo Christie up perfectly to add another to York's lead.

Shortly after York were awarded another short corner, which Christie scored after the ball deflected off the keeper.

Lancaster became scrappy now and conceded another short corner which was saved but Leo Watton soon responded by hitting the target from long range.

With the score at 7-2 there was just enough time for Laurie Torrington to add another and complete a brilliant victory for York.

On the win York Captain Oliver Wheatley said, "We played good hockey. We played well ad sent a really good message for the outdoor hockey tomorrow."

Kris S Posted on Sunday 18 Aug 2019

Kris Sivagnanam* is probably the right way to spell it