Other Sports Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Women's Pool humbled by Lancaster

The York women's Pool team suffered a 5-1 defeat at the hands of Lancaster Ladies yesterday, in a frustrating Roses clash (Thumbnail credit Image: Agatha Torrance)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 1-5 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY

The York women's Pool team suffered a 5-1 defeat at the hands of Lancaster Ladies yesterday, in a frustrating Roses clash.

In the first game, York's Hannah Palmer was beaten by two frames to one by Lancaster's Jackie Zhang, though the decision to award Zhang the second and therefore require a third to settle the score, was a controversial one. Zhang had hit the black to within millimetres of the pocket, but the ball did not drop for at least fifteen seconds after the shot, while national rules state that for the pot to be awarded, it must fall within ten. Nevertheless, the pot was awarded and Palmer went on to lose the final frame by a single ball.

Alex Benjamin was up next for York and also suffered a defeat of two frames to one by Helen King, but again the margin was far from convincing, leaving York to believe that luck was simply not on their side.

Kat Atkins pulled a game back for York against Ellie Lund but this small success was as good as it got for the whites, as Felicity Taylor was then beaten narrowly, before Jess Astbury and Agatha Lach also lost their games but never by more than three balls.

Ultimately, York were close in most frames, but wasteful on the final balls, perhaps understandably though given a highly pressurised atmosphere from the crowd.

Lancaster finished the contest as 5-1 winners, but given the closeness of the games, we might suggest that such a score line is indeed a flattering one.