Hockey Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Women's hockey thirds slip to narrow defeat

The women's hockey thirds lost by a single goal to their Lancaster counterparts, in a tepid Roses affair on Saturday morning (Thumbnail credit Image: Hoagy Davis-Digges)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 0-1 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY

The women's hockey thirds lost by a single goal to their Lancaster counterparts, in a tepid Roses affair on Saturday morning.

Right from the push back there was little atmosphere around the pitch, in stark contrast to most of the other hockey fixtures taking place before and after.

It took ten minutes for either side to muster a meaningful attack, but York's first two shots were easily saved by the Lancaster keeper.

The White Rose were unable to build on this, though, and had to face two penalty corners before the break, the first wasted by Lancaster's toothless attack and the second charged down by the impressive Maddie Bushell.

At half-time there was little to report, and the crowd were getting restless in the morning sun.

A chance at the start of the second half was the best York could muster, but their hesitancy stopped them from capitalising on a three-on-one opportunity.

And just as it looked as if the visitors were finding their feet, Lancaster struck what would prove to be the winner, as a scramble in the D somehow resulted in the ball being put in the York goal.

York went in search of an equaliser, forcing five short corners, but they couldn't make any of them count, and their day of misfortune in attack was summed up by captain Kat Johnson's air shot with only seconds left.

At full time Johnson said, "I'm disappointed, but we played hard and considering we'd only played once before it wasn't too bad. It was a shame that we had a lot of possession and couldn't make it count, but I'm still proud of the girls."

York: Chard, Williams, Kaestner, Bushell, Marston, Boyne, Cox, Mitchell, Perry, Wynnam, Myers, Johnson (C)