Netball Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Netball barbarians suffer narrow Roses defeat

The York Barbarians netball team suffered a narrow 21-18 defeat yesterday at the hands of Lancaster in a thrilling Roses clash (Thumbnail credit Image: Philippa Grafton)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 18-21 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY

The York Barbarians netball team suffered a narrow 21-18 defeat yesterday at the hands of Lancaster in a thrilling Roses clash.

York had started brightly and Goal Shooter Charlotte Winter threatened in the opening minute, but early pressure was nothing more, and it was Lancaster who took the lead, against the run of play.

York did score, twice, through Winter and Tessa Russell, but for all their possession in the attacking third, they could not extend their lead, and were punished by incisive Lancaster breakaways, seeing the Red Roses establish an 8-2 lead by the end of the first quarter.

With Wing Defender Katie Barrett adopting a more forward role in the second quarter, a decided York improvement soon followed with the White Rose scoring six times, Barrett herself grabbing two, but for all their progress going forward, exposures on the flanks, coupled with hesitations in the centre, allowed Lancaster to grab four goals of their own and maintain a comfortable 12-8 lead.

The third quarter was an exciting exchange with both sides scoring freely, and York's virtuoso attacking trio of Winter, Russell and Barrett, as well as an inspired interceptive performance from Centre Anna Yeaomans saw York really take the game to a jaded Lancaster side, quite clearly tiring from the intensity of the affair. At the end of the third quarter, York still trailed but certainly looked the brighter side.

The final quarter was York's strongest and saw them dominate possession and reduce the deficit at one point to a solitary goal.

Despite their hard work however, epitomised by the industrious Yeaomans, Lancaster were still able to make the most of their limited opportunities, and extended their lead, very slightly I hasten to add, but just enough to put the game beyond reach of a late York resurgence.

York trailed by three goals with three minutes to go, and were it not for a rather sturdy Lancaster hoop ring, you would have backed them to overturn it, both Winter and Barrett going close in the final moments. Nevertheless, given the shellshock of the first quarter, and the hostile Lancaster crowd, York Barbarians can take pride in a valiant effort away from home.