Rugby Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Women's firsts brushed aside in rugby sevens

Like their seconds team before them, the women's rugby firsts were unable to stop a rampant Lancaster in their sevens match (Thumbnail credit Image: Agatha Torrance)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 0-22 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY

Like their seconds team before them, the women's rugby firsts were unable to stop a rampant Lancaster in their sevens match.

By the time five minutes of play had elapsed, the match was effectively over, as the White Rose were twice caught by swift counter attacks.

The first was down to York's defences being far too open, but the second was harsh on them as they had looked like finding a way back into the game.

York lacked composure on the rare occasions when they could get the ball, though they did shore up their leaky defence at the start of the second half.

The visitors battled bravely, but the strain of chasing their opponents took its toll and Lancaster twice intercepted loose passes to run in a couple of late tries.

Despite the final score of 22-0, there was a sense of optimism in the York camp, the impression being that they can triumph in the 15s match tomorrow.

York captain Emma Nugent said afterwards, "I'm so proud of the girls even though we lost. We didn't give up and really played fantastically."

York: Nugent (C), Herron, Camp, Flynn, George, Speller, Larson, Ball, McCallum, Brooke