Rugby Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Men's rugby sevens secure convincing win

York's men's rugby team grabbed two vital Roses points as they beat Lancaster 12-5 in their sevens match on Friday, though the score didn't reflect York's dominance (Thumbnail credit Image: Philippa Grafton)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 12-5 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY

York's men's rugby team grabbed two vital Roses points as they beat Lancaster 12-5 in their sevens match on Friday, though the score didn't reflect York's dominance.

James Faktor's side bossed the first half, but took their time to make the breakthrough, as Lancaster managed to hold firm.

It was Faktor who scored the first try of the afternoon, going over in the corner after a sustained period of York pressure, before Tom Chadwick converted to make the score 7-0.

On the stroke of half-time, York furthered their advantage - and it was no more than they deserved. Gabriel Adebiyi chipped over the top to score, and give the White Rose a commanding lead.

More of the same followed at the start of the second half, York pressing their opponents high up the pitch, with Lancaster unable to get out of their own half.

The hosts came back into it late on, York's defence being forced to make some stunning last-ditch challenges, most notably from Adebiyi.

With time almost up Lancaster did force a try, but York were the deserved victors and will take the psychological advantage going into tomorrow's 15s fixture.

Afterwards, Faktor said, "We were a bit rushed, having only arrived at 2. Half the guys here haven't played 7s before, so I was really impressed. We had more pace than them and took them in midfield."

York: Faktor, Draycott, Ross, B Turner, Chadwick, Adebiyi, Osborne, J Turner, Rhodes, Naidoo, Watson