Volleyball Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Lancaster take mixed volleyball points

York's mixed volleyball team threw away an early lead as they slipped to a 3-1 defeat at Roses (Thumbnail credit Image: Agatha Torrance)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 1-3 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY

York's mixed volleyball team threw away an early lead as they slipped to a 3-1 defeat at Roses.

The White Rose were on top throughout the first set, as Harry Pampiglione pulled the strings and Lancaster struggled with their serving, eventually resulting in a 25-18 win.

But from then on Lancaster dominated. Their spike was a potent weapon and they raced into an unassailable 11-3 lead. They ran out 25-12 winners in the second set.

The third was more of the same, though York upped their performance to get within five points of their rivals. It wasn't enough though, and Lancaster took an overall lead in the match with a 25-18 win, despite York saving three set points.

In the fourth set, York were visibly tiring and were cannon fodder for the Red Rose. The end result had long been a foregone conclusion, but the 25-11 Lancaster win was greeted with huge cheers nonetheless.

York captain Katie Widerhofer was pleased with her side despite the defeat, saying, "I'm not really disappointed because we're really not used to playing mixed games. We should be better in the men's and women's matches because we're used to playing together, but I think we still had great team spirit today and that showed."

York: Widerhofer (C), Linaires, Gross, Sabas, Pampiglione, Luddeford, Jizerova, Galenianos, Sechel