Rugby Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Lancaster dominate in women's rugby seconds

York's women's rugby seconds were on the end of a thrashing, as they lost their sevens fixture 32-0 in Friday's Roses match (Thumbnail credit Image: Agatha Torrance)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 0-32 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY

York's women's rugby seconds were on the end of a thrashing, as they lost their sevens fixture 32-0 in Friday's Roses match.

York were behind almost immediately after kick off, and the feeling on the touchline was that the White Rose would struggle defensively.

It was all Lancaster right from the off and they had extended their lead to 12-0 within five minutes, as they proved to be far too strong in attack.

By half time it was 22-0, as the rampant Red Rose ran in another two tries past a hapless York defence.

As the second period began, Lancaster started where they left off, chasing York down deep inside their own half of the field. York had improved and battled hard to keep the score down.

But it was too little too late, and Lancaster managed to run in another two tries before the full time whistle.

York's Lucy Davies, who was forced to miss the match through injury, defended her side's display: "We found it difficult because we were set up to attack and we're not used to playing this kind of game. Six of the seven girls out there had never played sevens before, and we had a bit of a reshuffle at the last minute because of my injury."

York: Hall, Jones, Moffat, Martin, Allsop, Hogarth, Brotherton, Johnson, Tan, Ormrod