Roses Sport News & Features Sport

Roses 2012: Your guide to this year's tournament

Dan Holland and Luke Gardener preview Roses and pick out the weekend's key battles (Thumbnail credit Image: Justyn Harcastle)

Dan Holland and Luke Gardener preview Roses and pick out the weekend's key battles.

MEN'S FOOTBALL FIRSTS

Time: Sunday, 12:30pm
Points on Offer: 4

These are two sides with a point to prove. Both were relegated from their respective leagues by the narrowest of margins this year, so expect a tense battle this time around. Dan Atherton grabbed the only goal of the game last year, as Lancaster had a man sent off, and this is set to be another close call. The overall Roses result should be settled by kick-off, but this is still a fixture worth watching.

BASKETBALL FIRSTS

Time: Sunday, Women's at 12:15pm, Men's at 2:30pm
Points on Offer: 8

Lancaster will be clear favourites in the men's, but the women's could really go either way. The two teams are reasonably well matched in terms of their league finishes, and York have been in fine form of late. A six point win for the White Rose last year was the result that brought the Carter-James Trophy back to York; if things are tight going into the final fixtures then this could be another nail-biter.

WATER POLO

Time: Saturday, Men's at 7:30pm, Women's at 8:15pm
Points on Offer: 8

York's men were team of the tournament last year, after completing a thrilling 7-6 win over their Red Rose rivals. It's been another successful campaign for Chris Snowden's team, and there should be a cracking atmosphere and a big crowd for the Saturday night showpiece, while the women will be out to avenge their 12-1 defeat in the 2011 tournament.

FENCING FIRSTS

Time: Sunday, 10:15am
Points on Offer: 8

These encounters could be two of the highest quality matchups of the weekend, with all four of the firsts teams on show representing some of the best York and Lancaster have to offer. The Red Rose will be no pushovers on home territory, but York will be expecting to take all four points on offer.

NETBALL FIRSTS

Time: Saturday, 4pm
Points on Offer: 4

Lancaster may be a couple of divisions ahead of York, but don't write the women in black and gold off. They have a habit of rising to the occasion, losing narrowly in last year's Roses and at Varsity, and although Lancaster will be the favourites going into this one, an upset isn't beyond the realms of possibility. These could be four very valuable points.

MEN'S RUGBY FIRSTS

Time: Saturday, 2:15pm
Points on Offer: 4

The two sides competed in the same division this year, York finishing third and Lancaster relegated. York won comfortably when the sides met on 22 Acres in October, but the Red Rose recorded their only victory of the season when they triumphed over James Faktor's side in January. On paper, York should win if they play to their potential, but if they aren't at their best then Lancaster could easily take the points.

The Roses Torch

During week two, the newly created Roses Torch will be taken across campus to celebrate and to honour the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic games happening in London this summer.

The relay will take place between 6:30pm and 8:30pm on Thursday 3rd May, with 13 people who have made a contribution to sport at York taking part.

Sam Asfahani, current York Sport President, will start the relay at the Sports Centre before handing over to Andrew Kirkwood, Roses Player of the Year 2011, who will take the torch through James College, while Louise Highton, who will compete in fencing, swimming and water polo at Roses 2012 will run through Wentworth and Biology.

Joe Boughtflower and Jamie Criswell will carry the torch through Derwent and towards Heslington East before the relay is completed by Charlotte Winter, York Sport President Elect, at the New Sports Village on the Heslington East campus.

The following day, 12 prominent members of the York sport community, will cycle from York to Lancaster with the torch, aided by York University Cycling Club members Jess Taylor, Ben Snowden, Kaj Scarsbrook, Luke Fox, Sam Godfrey Mayes, Greg Markin and Greg Melia.
Past, present and future presidents of the Rugby Club, Netball Club, Rowing and Lacrosse will all be involved as torch bearers while cycling to Lancaster as well as Kay Masterson, the York Sport Tournament officer for this academic year.

The York Sport Development Officer, Chris Unsworth, whose idea it was to create the Roses torch will also be part of the relay.
The Roses torch relay represents the theme of participation for Roses 2012, with RAG, York Sport, JCRCs, arts and media societies and college sport all having been involved in the project.