Roses Sport News & Features Sport

Adverse weather hits Roses opener

Sunday's rowing events, which were set to begin this year's Roses competition between York and Lancaster, had to be cancelled due to high winds and heavy rainfall (Thumbnail credit Image: Agatha Torrance)

Sunday's rowing events, which were set to begin this year's Roses competition between York and Lancaster, had to be cancelled due to high winds and heavy rainfall.

Mark Handley, Lancaster University Students Union Vice President for Student Activities, confirmed on Saturday that the races would not go ahead.

He said on Twitter, "Confirmed: All Rowing events are called off tomorrow due to adverse weather conditions in Lancaster."

Strong winds in Lancaster meant that neither crew were satisfied that racing conditions were safe, while the flooding on the River Ouse meant that the York team could not access their boats.

There were originally seven races scheduled to take place on the River Lune, though Lancaster had already pulled out of the Women's Novice IV and Women's Senior VIII, but it is now expected that the points will be removed from the overall available total.

However, with York having already secured the six points from the two races Lancaster had forfeited, it remains unclear as to whether these will still be included.

Catherine Oliver, University of York Boat Club President, commented, "It's really unfortunate that the races have had to be cancelled, especially as the UYBC were eager to reaffirm the victory that we had over Lancaster last year."

Pippa Maloney, Senior Women's captain, added: "We were really looking forward to the race, especially given the cancellation of our other crews. It could have been a very close race and would have been great to have the chance to compete on the water and defend the Roses title, so it's a disappointment.

"However, we wouldn't want to risk putting anyone in dangerous situations and given the weather in York over the last few days [we] can only imagine what it's been like in Lancaster."

Rowing, the event on which the annual contest was founded in 1965, was also cancelled two years ago in 2010.