Science

Genius by Nature

I'd like to think that anyone, if they put their mind to it, can achieve anything. But recent scientific research suggests that this may not be the case.

Take the Bronte family for example. All three sisters were literary geniuses. But was their intelligence past on down the generations? Scientists at MIT have found a gene which they believe to be the "Learning gene". They deactivated this gene in mice and found that the mice could no longer be conditioned; a basic learning response, to associate one thing with another. Could it be that in geniuses this gene is some how over expressed?

Dr Ognjen Amidzic has studied the brains of both Grand Master Chess players and average players. He found that while playing, the Masters' brain is most active in the frontal lobes, the region responsible for problem solving, while the average chess player's brain was most active in the temporal lobes, responsible for short term memory. Dr Ognjen believes that we are born with a predisposition to be able to do certain tasks well or not. In other words, no matter how hard someone trains and studies chess strategy, they will never show Grand Master brain activity. Moreover, Grand Masters brains would have always showed this pattern.

Now there's something to think about. If our genes and brain structure dictate what we can and can't do, may we be trying in vain to become a genius at something that our genetics simply will not allow? Would we understand the laws of gravity if Sir Isaac Newton had a different brain activity pattern?

However, not all genius may be a result of genetics. Autism is a genetic condition which makes it hard to communicate and relate to others. Derek Paravicini was born autistic. Since the age of four he has learnt to play the piano with extraordinary talent. This did not come naturally to him and is in fact the result of thousands of hours of practice. Not all autistic people possess an incredible talent, such as Derek's, which suggests that the cause of such a skill is not genetic.

Maybe we do not have a say in the limit of our intelligence. Or, a more comforting thought is that maybe it just takes thousands of hours of hard graft.

Paul Daniggelis Posted on Thursday 25 Apr 2019

" But was their intelligence passed (not past) on down the generations?"
The answer is "no" because none of the Bronte children had children of their own.

But the fundamental question, as always, remains: Is it nature or nurture?
It seems to be a mixed bag but what is the ratio? I'm guessing that nature has an edge in deciding our lot in life. However, it has become primarily a political question these days with Liberals proclaiming that we are born blank slates and can be molded into model citizens. Conservatives, on the other hand, suggest that natural instinct governs much of our behavior and, if you can believe the Ethologists, this seems like the appropriate intellectual approach to the matter. Ciao!

John Warth Posted on Thursday 25 Apr 2019

a grammatical quibble: "past on down the generations" should be "passed"

In the second line "past on down the generations" should be "passed on down the generations." This article is sloppily-written, and poorly-derived from the study, lacking any depth, but typical of the kinds of stories found today on the Internet.

Ranko Rubezic Posted on Thursday 25 Apr 2019

What a rubbish! First, check credentials of individuals. Amidzic himself is unsuccessful player, so he is obviously biased toward success. Also, he's website (amidzic consulting) is impossible to find. An expert obviously:)