Football Top Sport Story College Cup Web Exclusives Sport

Halifax end season on a high with College Cup glory

Halifax vindicated their favourites tag by beating Derwent 2-0 today to win the College Cup

HALIFAX FIRSTS 2-0 DERWENT FIRSTS

Images: Peter Iveson

Halifax vindicated their favourites tag by beating Derwent 2-0 today to win the College Cup.

A tight game seemed to be heading for penalties before a controversial penalty decision againt Derwent keeper Seb Treasure saw Conor Brennan step up to make it 1-0. With time running out Alex Tringham curled home a lovely free-kick to make it 2-0 and end the game as a contest.

As is the pattern for most games in the knock-out stages of the College Cup it was a nervous affair with chances few and far between. The first half especially was cagey with neither side wanting to give anything away.

A poor kick from Treasure nearly gifted Halifax an opening in the game's first half-chance while at the other end Jon Garness teed up Dan Atherton whose strike travelled wide of the post.

Matt Hallam then broke down the left for the side in blue and black but he couldn't find the pass. Tringham shot wide for Halifax and an Atherton free-kick, his first of three in the match, cleared the woodwork.

Halifax then began to dictate terms slightly, enjoying three chances before the half-time interval. Captain Tom Ragan, who endured a constant battle against centre-back Josh Baines, had the first, his shot going straight at Treasure. The Derwent stopper was at it again moments later as Tringham broke into the box near the by-line but his shot across goal was palmed away by keeper.

With the half-time whistle looming, and the scores still deadlocked at 0-0, Halifax nearly took the lead. Midfielder Jacob Tapper was dispossessed on the edge of his own area and Brennan's shot was parried out by Treasure, with a tap-in on the cards Joe Boughtflower did superbly well to nip in and steal the ball, keeping the game level.

After the break it was much of the same with Halifax pushing forward and Derwent threatening on the break. Another Atherton free-kick was sent over the bar and left-back Matt Worsfold, Derwent's man of the match, nearly scored a very unlikely opener with a cross-come-shot that almost deceived Jonny Sim between the Halifax posts.

Tom Day then curled an attempt wide for the Fax as they endeavoured to find the opener. Their next attempt was as near as they would come until their first goal as Ash Daly hit a free-kick from well outside the area that cannoned back off the bar.

With little over ten minutes left the game got its first goal, and with it its first major talking point. A Day attempt was pushed out by Treasure who then left his line in an attempt to deny Jack Beadle. He got the ball but in doing so upended Beadle and the referee pointed to the spot, to trigger cries of contrasting emotion from the two sets of supporters. While Treasure was perhaps reckless in leaving his line and diving in the decision certainly looked unfair, nevertheless Brennan stepped up to fire home and make it 1-0.

Derwent were now a side who felt they had been unfairly treated and they streamed forward in search of an equaliser, a free-kick caused some confusion in the Halifax box but the defence, marshalled by the imperious Dan Turley and Dom Petschak, stood firm to maintain 'Fax's lead.

Halifax then got their second of the game, the goal that ended the tie as a contest, and this time there were no question marks about it. Left-back Alex Tringham, who enjoyed a fine game, curled home a lovely free-kick from the near touchline and sent the Halifax fans, still in last night's 'World Tour' outfits, into delirium.

Derwent weren't done yet and continued pushing for an unlikely avenue back into the match, Garness and Atherton both had half-chances but the fairytale ending - for them at least - wasn't about to come true and the final whistle blew with Halifax victorious.

Boughtflower was understandably low following a final defeat but he praised his side for their work-ethic and for their highly successful season: "I think we matched them, we're the first team to really stand up to them. We looked threatening, especially on the break, and then the penalty happened and it threw us off course. We lost to two set-pieces which is disappointing. We've had a great season though, only losing two games, and our effort has been superb".

His counterpart Tom Ragan was similarly proud of his side but much happier with the outcome of the final: "I'm just really, really happy. We've had three years of being told we're the best, and we've turned it around today. We've had two solid terms but we've brought it all together with the Uni boys this term. It was a good final, a really good final, it was a battle between the best two sides in the tournament, I don't think you can argue with that. I'm just very happy."

Derwent firsts: Seb Treasure, Joe Boughtflower, Josh Baines, Dom Henney, Matt Worsfold, Jake Farrell, Matt Hallam, Jacob Tapper, Steve Walwyn, Dan Atherton, Jon Garness. Unused substitute: Will de Silva.

Man of the Match: Matt Worsfold

Halifax firsts: Jonny Sim, Mark Lund (Tom Patrickson), Dan Turley, Dom Petschak, Alex Tringham, Ash Daly, Matt Mawdesley, Tom Day, Jack Beadle, Conor Brennan, Tom Ragan (Elliot Ragan)

Man of the Match: Tom Day

15 Comments

Marcus Gayle Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Tom Ragan, welcome to the elite club of Chris Lavender, Adlou, Coxy and Miles McDermott as college cup winning captains. More than deserved for a good captain.

Halifaxer Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Very well deserved. Best team.

Tom Brown Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Definitely not a pen, nightmare decision.

College cup fan Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Good game to end it all, Dewent definitly did well but Fax deserved it

Phil Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Good on you Halifax!

A ref Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

How on earth was a penalty given? The keeper has grabbed the ball before the striker fell over. Shame that the game was decided by that, probably a good job Halifax got another goal.

World Tour Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

World Tour and you still want more!!

Champions Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

CHAMPIONS!

Anton 'Dreamz' Murphy Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

If i was playing Halifax would of got smashed!

Alan Partridge Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Dan! Dan! Dan! Dan! Dan! Dan! Dan! DAN! DAAAN!

Happy Halifaxian Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

woah there who is this Matt Worsfold for man of the match we all know its (Hot stuff) Dom Petschak!!!

Aman Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

YEAH BOYS, COME ON 'FAX! :D

Lol Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Just ntoiced that Conor Brennan wore fishnet stockings whilst playing. What a hero.

Lol Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

*noticed

Brian Dowling Posted on Wednesday 21 Aug 2019

Not that anyone watches these days, but I'm about to welcome Anton 'Dreamz' Murphy into the BB House. COLLEGE FOOTBALL LEGEND.