Other Sports Roses Web Exclusives Sport

York take Lancaster to the wire in men's basketball

A tight match saw York push Lancaster all the way in this Roses tie. Despite spending the match trailing they were never out of sight and could have nicked it at the end but unfortunately on this occasion they ran out 64-55 losers (Thumbnail credit Image: Justyn Hardcastle)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 55-64 UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER

Images: Justyn Hardcastle

A tight match saw York push Lancaster all the way in this Roses tie. Despite spending the match trailing they were never out of sight and could have nicked it at the end but unfortunately on this occasion they ran out 64-55 losers.

The first quarter was very even and Lancaster's point guard Uresti immediately stood out with some nice passing and shooting including one spectacular 3 pointer. York however were creating numerous chances and a good pass from Ekrem found Moran in the key who finished cooly. Unfortunately York failed to convert many of their chances which allowed Lancaster to gain rebounds and break quickly. The first quarter ended with York trailing by just one point with the score at 15-14.

The second quarter saw Lancaster's Uresti make an explosive start with two early long range baskets. York were put under pressure and this resulted in a build-up of mistakes costing them possession, causing captain Ben Barratt to call a time-out with York trailing by 27 to 19. The rest of the quarter was then very even with Ben Barrat finishing off a fluid passing move and Mikalionas scoring after a solo move in the key, turning his man nicely. The quarter finished with the score at 35-26 to Lancaster and meant that York went into the half-time break with a lot to do.

A dynamic start to the third quarter saw Mikalionas win an offensive rebound and put it in from close range, only for Lancaster to reply instantly with a 3 pointer from Kakatasis. York then began to gain the upper hand and a nice drive from Ekren followed by another basket from Mikalionas in quick succession. Lancaster's response was to call a time-out and this did the trick as they ended the quarter strongly with another 3 pointer from Uresti being the highlight. Had it not been for Moran's late basket things could've been a lot worse than the 10 point deposit they entered the final quarter with.

The dramatic fourth quarter got off to an explosive start with a 3 pointer from York's Piliotopoulos. A flurry of baskets in a number of fast paced plays saw the noise levels in the arena rise dramatically and created a buzzing atmosphere. This was intensified as York bought it back to a 4 point game with only 1.40 minutes left on the clock. Unfortunately a number of fouls in the closing minutes saw Lancaster convert well from the free-throw line and eventually run out winners. The 64-55 final score didn't reflect the closeness of the game, and the York team would be disappointed after they had done so much to get back in with a chance with so little time left on the clock.