Hockey Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Women's hockey seconds breeze past Lancaster

The women's hockey seconds had little difficulty in putting six past their Lancaster opponents on the Saturday of Roses (Thumbnail credit Image: Peter Iveson)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 6-0 UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER

Images: Peter Iveson

Times may have changed, but the origins of Roses lie, of course, on the battlefield. In military terms, this game could only be classed as a siege. And, in the end, a rout.

In control from first whistle to last, York's ultimate tally of six was kind on Lancaster, who failed to muster a single shot on Laura Porter's goal in 70 sordid minutes. York, a well-oiled attacking machine, were ahead after ten minutes and never relinquished their grip.

Two apiece for Sophie Anderson and Becky Bradley, in addition to first-half strikes from Tamsin French and Natalie Montezuma, secured an easy couple of points for York's overall tally.

Montezuma showed perseverance to keep a tenth minute move alive inside the area and, following a spell of pin-ball, the ball fell kindly for French to fire home from point-blank range.

York's constant variation on short corner routines kept a beleaguered Lancaster defence guessing and, from one such move, Leila Asrari, on the stretch, couldn't turn in a shot.

But Asrari wouldn't be denied for long. Retrieving the ball near the byline, she squared to the onrushing Montezuma, who applied the finishing touch for 2-0 on the stroke of half-time.

The half was extended by five consecutive short corners and, eventually, Anderson swept the ball home to effectively settle the contest.

The one-way traffic continued after the break and Lancaster's fears of humiliation slowly focused into reality. First, Bradley set off on a wonderful solo run down the inside-right channel and, after beating three defenders, slid the ball into the bottom corner.

Soon after, she raced through a static Lancaster defence and, having seen her initial shot rebound off the right-hand post, reacted quickest to make the score 5-0.

A sixth, courtesy of Anderson's second, gave the game a nice symmetry and set the seal on an emphatic performance.

University of York Squad: GK. Laura Porter, 4. Jess Harwood, 44. Tor Williamson, 43. Anna Williams, 10. Becky Bradley, 38. Sophie Anderson, 6. Leila Asrari, 32. Tamsin French, 17. Cathy Cox, 66. Natalie Montezuma, 19. Hannah Harrison, 8. Sally Dalton, 20. Katie Wilson, 42. Harriet Mills.