Football Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Women's football team come from behind to record well deserved victory

A slow start from York's women was redeemed by a superb second half performance, as they exploited the Lancaster side's weak defence to come back from being 1-0 down at half time and finish the game off with a 2-1 win

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 2 - 1 UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER

Images: Justyn Hardcastle

A slow start from York's women was redeemed by a superb second half performance, as they exploited the Lancaster side's weak defence to come back from being 1-0 down at half time and finish the game off with a 2-1 win.

In the first half, York played well captain Katie Ballantyne organising the team and initiating some expansive passing moves. However, despite opportunities being presented to the York forwards time and again they couldn't make their dominance pay.

In perhaps York's best moment Ballantyne passed out to the left wing, where striker Rose Hooks was in a promising position. However, the move fell apart in the box, and the ball was cleared away. The Red Rose's forwards then caught the York defence on the break, and despite poor control managed to bundle the ball into the net, and the away side into the lead.

After half time, York's women resumed their assault on the Lancaster goal mouth, determined to restore parity. Ten minutes into the second half a chance presented itself, and York equalised. Player of the match, Rose Hooks cut down the left wing, using the space in front of her to out pace her Lancastrian opponent. She turned inside, entered the box and wasted no time in curling the ball beautifully past the helpless Lancaster keeper and into the top right hand corner. With hope restored to the York team, an invigorated performance followed, with Hooks bagging a second in almost identical fashion just moments later, to put York deservingly 2-1 up.

Lancaster are currently two leagues ahead of York, so this is a victory the York team can be very proud of, reflected in the Captain's post match comment: "A great end to a great season."