Other Sports Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Women's basketball success clinches Roses

A sublime first two quarters set the women's basketball on their way to clinching the Carter-James Trophy for York and capped-off an already wonderful season for the recently promoted side (Thumbnail credit Image: Peter Iveson)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 45-39 UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER

Images: Peter Iveson

A sublime first two quarters set the women's basketball on their way to clinching the Carter-James Trophy for York and capped-off an already wonderful season for the recently promoted side.

After already gaining promotion at the end of the Spring term, York perhaps produced their best performance of the season, looking assured as they brushed aside a Lancaster side a division above them in the North West BUCS equivalent. York Captain Lydie Mariutto was unable to single out a particular player for praise, pointing to a fantastic team performance as the key to York overcoming their Lancaster rivals 45-39.

Mariutto was instrumental in leading York to a comfortable eight point first quarter lead, providing a creative attacking outlet that was a cut above her Red Rose counterparts. Excellent link up play with Christin Kircheubel, Mariutto driving to the to the basket before setting the easy two for her team mate, brought the biggest cheer of the half.

The home side extended their lead to twelve points after dominating the second quarter, but the game only really came to life with the resumption of the second half. After the lesson dealt out to them in the first two quarters, Lancaster desperately needed a quick response and they got one courtesy of standout Vasiliki Makou. Her eight unanswered points for the Red Rose dragged them firmly back into the game, the pick of the bunch being a superb spin a lay up to shut the gap to four points.

Despite Makou's efforts, she was the only bright spark in a Lancaster side having trouble finding a way through a well-organised York defence. With Katharine Missenden in particular proving a menace on her return in the fourth quarter, York had found their groove once again. Missed opportunities from the foul line, a staple scene from the tense nature of the game, nearly allowed Lancaster a way back in, but with just under four minutes on the clock York landed the decisive blow.

Steffania Mataragka, given the space to pick her spot, didn't think twice about shooting for three; a sublime jump shot later and the match (plus the Carter-James Trophy) was effectively in York clutches. Lancaster would make one final stand, reducing the gap to four points courtesy of a trip to the free throw line, but perhaps fittingly, one of York's most successful clubs clinched the points and the Roses tournament that the home side thoroughly deserved.