Rugby Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Rugby seconds come from behind to beat Lancaster

The rugby seconds contributed to their club's whitewash of their Lancaster rivals as they won 19-11 in a turgid encounter made even worse by difficult conditions on the 22 acres (Thumbnail credit Image: Peter Iveson)

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 19 - 11 UNIVERSITY OF LANCASTER

The rugby seconds contributed to their club's whitewash of their Lancaster rivals as they won 19-11 in a turgid encounter made even worse by difficult conditions on the 22 acres.

It was Lancaster that had the oppurtunity to take the lead early on as their fly half opted to go for the posts from a penalty but could only suceed in kicking wide from a position that he should have easily converted from.

It came as some surprise then that he took on another, more difficult, penalty attempt moments later and slotted the kick home. From there on in the half was all York's as the formidable Mike Ager crashed over and then Paul Guest produced a moment of magic to get Niall Walsh away on the flank. Ben Turner added the available extras to put York 12-3 to the good.

With another Lancaster penalty reducing their deficit to 12-6 at the break a good start was needed from the home side to press home their advantage coming in to the second half. York Sport committee member Guest was at the centre of everything again, this time making a superb interception before riding one tackle and offloading to Ryan Johnston who went over for the score. Turner was on hand to dissect the posts once more.

At 19-6 it was always going to be a tall order for the Red Rose and though they struggled they could not conjure any come back momentum, adding only one un-converted try to their total and leaving York the victors.